Dear Freshmen: A guide to Boston dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Dear freshmen,

Welcome to Emerson College! Although I am a Junior now, I remember my Freshmen year like it was yesterday. Besides getting used to the hectic schedule that is an Emerson student’s life, getting used to Boston is just as important. It can be overwhelming at first, but you’ll discover that this city has something for everyone. I could advise you on things like staying out of the Common at one a.m. by yourself, or to ignore the creepy old men on the T, but I think those things go without being said. So what else can I talk about? Food, of course.

I know it may not seem like it at a campus like Emerson, where everyone has black-rimmed glasses and boots, but Boston is so rich in diversity and culture. The best reflection of this is in the food. Each neighborhood has its own distinct flavor and spice, and I’m here to give you a guide on the not-so-obvious dining choices that Boston has to offer. So grab a friend or two and explore these and other places.

Back Bay

Starting off close to home, Towne Stove and Spirits is a really chill restaurant to enjoy during the week or on the weekend when you are sick of DH food (which will happen often, trust me – so take good notes). They have a wide range on their menu – their slogan is “Food for the people.” Their lobster is to die for, or go the classic route with some steak and potatoes. Towne also has an awesome brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. Keep this in mind for when your folks visit for Parent’s Weekend! The upscale environment gives this place a flair all its own, but it’s a little on the pricey side, so chose when you visit wisely. You don’t want to spend all of your money in one place, but the food is so great that it will tempt you too.

North End

My selection here had to be nothing else but a small, quaint Italian restaurant called Al Dente. Smack dab amidst all the goings on of the North End is this gem on Salem Street, with very good quality, reasonably priced Italian favorites. Everything is cooked to order, as if grandma herself flew in straight from Italy to make it especially for you. You’ll feel as if you are at home in this cozy place, partly due to the fact that you can see right into the kitchen! The portions are enormous, but try and leave room for dessert – they make a mean tiramisu. This place will take away any feelings of homesickness you might have, because the staff makes you feel comfortable and would never let you leave without a completely full stomach.

South End

If you are looking for a cool, yet elegant place to dine and listen to some great music, then The Beehive should be added to your list of places to check out the semester. I first went here for a project for my Research Writing class (I know, #soemerson, right?) and fell in love for a couple reasons. First, I ordered the pizza burger. Yeah, you heard me right PIZZA burger. How much better can you get? It was a juicy burger topped with mozzarella cheese and smothered in marinara sauce. With some crispy steak fries on the side, it was perfect, and totally tasted like a pizza. The second aspect of this place is the entertainment, as there is almost always some sort of live entertainment happening for you to enjoy with your meal. The art is so cool in this restaurant as well, there is something interesting to look at on every wall!

Dorchester

Although Dorchester isn’t close to campus, it’s great to get outside of our little Boylston/Tremont bubble once in a while. Located just a stone’s throw away from the Ashmont T station is a surprisingly high scale and unique restaurant. The Ashmont Grill, on Talbot Street has been serving dinner and a mouthwatering weekend brunch since 2005. The modern take on diner classics is applicable for all food lovers – they have options for both carnivores and herbivores alike. A classic starter like cheese fries gets revamped to include turkey chili and an ancho chili cream and the standard pork chop gets a makeover with a chestnut puree and butternut squash bread pudding on the side – forget the applesauce here. The intimate and chic décor is the perfect spot for a first date, perhaps one of our campus cuties would be the perfect companion? The dark wooden tables are not cramped, making it easy to enjoy a great conversation, and an equally great meal. Long, white lamps hang from the ceiling and dimly lit walls sconces create an amiable mood and large photographs of mouthwatering ingredients like tomatoes that just dare you to be hungry.

Hey Collegiettes! I'm Alicia and a senior here at Emerson College. I created my own major called Magazine Studies, incorporating the fields of journalism, publishing and marketing. I want to be a magazine journalist after college, ideally at a mag like Seventeen! I love writing profiles, reviews and about anything television and movies. I'm a sister of Sigma Pi Theta and Co-President of Emerson's community service group, Imagine. 
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.