This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Don’t let bad hair days ruin your look. Messy buns and hoods are boring ways to cover up bad hair days. Try braiding your hair instead. And if you’re a goddess who’s never had to deal with bad hair days, still try it out. Braids are romantic and fashionable. Yeah, yeah, the normal three strand braid is too “boring.” But who says you should limit your hair braiding to just that? Here are 5 braids that you can try out!

1. Dutch braid

Add a little twist to the regular french braid and make your hair look thick and chic. Just do it the other way around!

2. Five strand braid

Get two braids out of one! A five strand braid is a cool way to make your braid look like you’ve combined two braids into one, super complicated one. But here’s the secret: its super easy to do!  

Bonus: Actually pin two inverted braids together to make a mermaid braid! 

3. Fishtail braid

Is five too many strands? Then just cut it down to two and make a beautiful, sleek fishtail braid. It goes well for any occasion and is sure to make some heads turn.  

P.S.: Twist the hair at your crown to make it look more magical. 

4. Knotted French Braid

Here’s something you never thought you’d hear: knot your hair. Yes, knot your hair to create a super tricky looking braid that’s gonna leave everyone (including you) admiring the intricacy your hands can work.  

5. Chinese staircase braid

Make your hair look like a never ending spiral with this braid. Perfect for a first date or a girls’ night out.  

Emerson contributor