Our Favorite PIZZAS in Durham!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

You’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t love a good pizza. Or a crappy pizza, for that matter. Recent technological advances (read: more considerate restaurant owners) have made pizza a reality even for vegans and those who are lactose and gluten intolerant. Regardless of what diet you’re on this week, it’s hard to resist the smell of a freshly-baked pizza, the burn of crushed red peppers, or the crunch of a perfectly baked crust. Here’s a rundown of our favorite ways to satisfy that craving – phone numbers and locations are included, because we’d be largely impressed if you weren’t craving a pizza by the end of this post.

Delivery:
Sure, Domino’s and Papa John’s are the defaults for your late-night pizza cravings, but for a tasty pizza delivered right to your door (on Food Points!), we recommend Enzo’s! Their personal pizzas are just the right size, and their selection of different topping combinations is fantastic (everyone RAVES about their BBQ chicken)!
Call (919) 309-3696 to have their delicious pizzas at your door within a half hour.

Pick up and go:
Wholefoods just renovated their Durham location and it’s awesome! Among their other deliciously prepared food options, they always have a pizza bar stocked with delicious options that are cheap, huge, and the quickest/easiest/healthiest (?)/most delicious on-the-go lunch option there is.

Casual Dining:
One of our favorite places to go out for a casual bite is Mellow Mushroom. Located downtown in the American Tobacco District, this groovy pizza chain has an amazing menu (that isn’t limited to pizza – I had a deeeeelicious terriyaki tofu sandwich there the other day). Gluten-free crust is available, and the opportunity to make your own pizza sans cheese means it’s a vegan’s delight, too. Don’t worry meat lovers – their pesto chicken is to die for. And don’t forget to start off your meal with their classic pretzel appetizer!

Fine Dining:

Pop’s is the perfect place to go for date night, to bring your parents, or to catch up with friends. The best part: they have wood-oven pizzas for $10!!! While they don’t offer many pizza options (only 4 or 5 on the menu), they are absolutely delicious and are a never-fail option.

(Photo credit and a great blog about the variety of food options at Pop’s: http://trianglenc-restaurants.com/2010/08/pops-gravy-518-411-italian-durham-triangle-nc/)

Make it at home:
Don’t have the time or money to eat out? Purchase a classic pre-made Digiorno cheese pizza and load it up with your favorite veggies! It’s a great way to guarantee a pizza you’ll love, and to get rid of those veggies that have seen better days. These pizzas usually don’t take more than 10 minutes to bake, so assuming you have your freezer stocked, you’ll have a hot, customized pizza in less time than it would take to order one.

Bottom line, pizza is undoubtedly one of the most widely adored food items out there, and we can only hope that this lineup will help you satisfy your case of the munchies.

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.