7 Tips on Surviving the Freshman Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

As a member of the Class of 2018, I couldn’t be happier with my decision to come to Duke. So far, I love college life in Durham. Upperclassmen have raved to me about how jealous they are that I have four amazing years ahead of me, and other freshmen share my excitement. I’ve heard my fellow classmates describe their college transition as “smooth,” “stellar,” and “surprisingly easy.”

While many freshmen are adjusting incredibly well to their new college lifestyles, there’s one negative sentiment we all seem to share: discontent with the freshman meal plan. I think we can all agree that the Marketplace meal plan is less than ideal. So here are a few tips to help you make the most of your meal plan as you begin your college journey:

1. Eat breakfast. At the risk of sounding like an overprotective mother insisting that you eat the “most important meal of the day,” I strongly encourage you to start your day off with a breakfast at Marketplace. First of all, we students need energy to tackle the long, busy days ahead of us. Second, Marketplace breakfasts are actually pretty decent, when you consider the omelet bar, fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins, etc. Overall, the value of breakfast at MP is WAY more valuable than the meager four-dollar equivalency. Especially since you can only spend that $4 on Marketplace lunch…soooo not worth it.
  2. The Marketplace buffet is truly unlimited. While it is socially acceptable to walk out of a meal holding a banana or cup of coffee, some of the more daring freshmen have found an even better way to maximize the endless supply of food available at each meal. After completing their meal, these students will pack up a sizeable amount of food for later. Some take a dozen donuts, some take a sandwich to go, and others sneak an extra slice of pizza. Warning: if you’re brave enough to try this tactic, be careful not to be seen in possession of a Tupperware, or it may be taken from you by the watchful Marketplace staff.
  3. That being said, I encourage you not to overeat. Unfortunately, the freshman 15 earned its name for a reason, and the Marketplace buffet doesn’t do much to help us. After all, if we are using our swipe, we better get our money’s worth! But try to look at a MP meal as exactly that: a single meal. While sweets like fro-yo and cookies are always available, they should be looked at as treats and not become a routine part of your daily diet. Instead, try to search for Marketplace’s healthier options, and try not to have unnecessarily large portions. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.
  4. Use all your swipes! As annoying as it may seem to have 5 breakfast, 5 dinner, and 2 weekend swipes per week, there’s no reason to waste your meals that have already been paid for. I’m not saying that you always need to eat at MP, but try not to waste meals either. You can save two of your Monday-Friday dinner swipes for the weekend. For any other dinners you skip or eat elsewhere, try to use your equivalency past 9 at Trinity Cafe. For the eight dollars given, you can get some solid sushi, a few cups of fruit, a salad, yogurt, or some beverages. These can be stored in a dorm fridge, or enjoyed later that night as a midnight study snack.
  5. Go to brunch. It is the best meal MP has to offer. So much variety, so many options. Plus there is shrimp. That is all.
  6. Try out other food options! While the food plan definitely favors Marketplace, you still have two dinners and essentially all of your lunches to eat elsewhere. East Campus is located in walking distance of a variety of delicious eateries: Whole Foods, Vine Sushi, Mad Hatter, Blue Corn Cafe, Cosmic and more! Try out these places when you get a chance. Exploring Durham is definitely part of the freshman experience. West Campus also offers a variety of food options, including ABP, The Loop, and the Divinity Cafe. Getting lunch between classes on West is a great time to explore new places to eat without feeling like you are throwing away a Marketplace swipe.
  7. Everything is okay in moderation. It’s okay to let yourself indulge in something you really love every once in a while. Don’t stuff your face, but I promise one cookie won’t kill you.

Hopefully these suggestions have assured you that the freshman meal plan is not the end of the world. While Marketplace meals may become just a tad bit repetitive, remember that there are always other options. Duke freshman, I promise we will get through this together. For now, I’ll see you on the thirty minute line at the omelet station tomorrow morning!

If you’re going to treat yourself, the Duke waffle seems pretty sick….and only 200 calories? Yes, please!