One of Our Own: HC Dickinson’s President, Alex Stagliano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Alexandra (Alex) Stagliano ’17 is involved in a diverse array of activities in the Dickinson community. In addition to being the founding Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus, she is a member of various honor societies, Kappa Alpha Theta, club sports, and more. Her ability to manage all of her activities while completing a double major is certainly impressive. Her Campus Dickinson reached out to Alex to learn more about her interests and what motived her to start a chapter of Her Campus!

Name: Alex Stagliano

Class Year: 2017

Major(s): Classical Studies and Religion

Hometown: Ithaca, NY

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

AS: Outside of being the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus, I am a first-year mentor, involved in Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, Club Ice Hockey, Love Your Melon, Eta Sigma Phi (the Classics honors society), Theta Alpha Kappa (the Comparative Religion honors society), and Alpha Lambda Delta.

HC: What made you decide to start a chapter of Her Campus at Dickinson?

AS: I became an avid reader of Her Campus as a first year and have always had an avid love of writing. I always thought that it was a shame that Dickinson didn’t have its own chapter of HC, since schools very similar to ours – such as Gettysburg and Franklin and Marshall – had their own chapters. I love that Her Campus is focused on women and women’s issues, and wanted to bring a publication that gave women a voice in the media to Dickinson’s campus. After going abroad my Junior year, I interned at a PR firm where I worked on the Digital PR team, which meant much of my time was spent on online magazines such as Who What Wear and Refinery29. I came to a moment where I had the epiphany of, “why can’t I do this?” So I gathered together a group of amazing women interested in being involved, started the application process and the rest is history!

HC: What were some challenges you faced establishing a new Her Campus chapter?

AS: When I started to establish Her Campus it was during the summer, so most of my publicizing and recruiting had to be done online which was definitely a challenge! Also because some people were unfamiliar with HC or didn’t take the time to look at the vast array of content on the site there was some backlash before our launch. That said, the majority of the campus community was extremely supportive of us bringing HC to campus and I believe that so far we are making a positive contribution to Dickinson.

HC: What is your favorite part of being the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Dickinson?

AS: That’s such a difficult question to answer! I think that this has been such a rewarding experience for me. Not only have I had the opportunity to found HC Dickinson from the ground up and watch it thrive, but I’ve gotten to know a group of wonderful, inspiring women who are eager to have their voices heard. I couldn’t have done this on my own and my exec board and my members make being Campus Correspondent a blast!

HC: What is something most people don’t know about you?

AS: Most people don’t know that I’ve played ice hockey since I was eight years old.

HC: What are your goals after graduation?

AS: I absolutely love fashion and beauty, and I would love to do something either in public relations or editorial. I had such a great experience interning in PR this summer and it’s something that I’ve become very passionate about. I actually am going back to New York next week to work fashion week with my old agency! I don’t know exactly what the future holds, but I’m definitely equal parts nervous and excited. :)

Goeun Choi

Dickinson

Goeun is a senior psychology major and Senior Editor at Dickinson College. She works at the career center on campus and is involved in her chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta and in Psi Chi. French bulldogs, Mexican food (or any food), and bad reality TV are her weaknesses. Find her on Instagram at @goeun.