Influential Women: 5 Inspirational Female Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month, collegiettes! March was officially declared Women’s History Month by Congress in 1987. HC Dickinson is excited to highlight influential women throughout this month, and this week we decided to feature some empowering female characters.

1. Annalise Keating (played by Viola Davis), How to Get Away with Murder

Annalise Keating is inspiring because she is self-sufficient and unapologetically herself. She is a successful defense attorney as well as a law professor, and still has time to mentor (through lots of tough love) her student associates.  

2. Leslie Knope (played by Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Leslie Knope is admirable because if she isn’t working to improve her town of Pawnee, Indiana, she’s helping out a friend. Her dedication to public service and her loved ones is evident in everything she does. On top of that, she’s a great example of a feminist!  

3. Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington), Scandal

Olivia Pope, an attorney and crisis manager, is constantly fixing one situation or another. Despite her stressful life, she knows her worth and keeps her cool when she needs to.  

4. Claire Underwood (played by Robin Wright), House of Cards

While Claire Underwood certainly makes some controversial decisions, she is ruthlessly pragmatic and confident in her decisions. She is always one step ahead of the game and always remains composed in spite of all of her husband’s scandals.  

5. Britta Perry (played by Gillian Jacobs), Community

Britta Perry is always promoting equality and intersectionality. Though she may not always get along with everyone at Greendale Community College, her quirky personality and commitment to social justice are definitely inspiring.

Goeun Choi

Dickinson

Goeun is a senior psychology major and Senior Editor at Dickinson College. She works at the career center on campus and is involved in her chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta and in Psi Chi. French bulldogs, Mexican food (or any food), and bad reality TV are her weaknesses. Find her on Instagram at @goeun.