The Secrets to Success: Life Lessons by Forrest Gump and his Mama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

My favorite movie of all time has taught me one thing: “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.” These wise words from Forrest Gump’s mama, have been my life motto since I first saw the movie when I was in seventh grade; not only at the height of my awkward stage, but also at a time in my life when I was extremely impressionable. I was constantly under review by EVERYONE around me. Since those lovely days in seventh grade, I continue to live by the wise words of Mrs. Gump, and I stand here proud of the person I am today. I get through those inevitable rough days with a few tricks I’ve picked up along the way. So if you’re ever struggling to express who you want to be, or truly are, while still trying to appear like you have all your ducks in a row…here are my secrets.

1. Don’t fake it till you make it.

The common saying “Fake it till you make it” has always bothered me. Admit when you’re having a rough time. Ask questions and admit you don’t know everything! Stay calm, cool, and collected. You’re definitely not perfect, and you shouldn’t pretend to be. Going back to Mrs. Gump’s metaphor, you have no idea what kind of chocolate is in the box unless you look at the guide.

1. Find ways to stand out.

Your quirks make you who you are. Embrace them! It’s too much fun being who you are, rather than being someone else. For example, I’ll admit I have a few too many pair of boots here at school; seventeen wonderful pairs, to be exact. Mrs. Gump also said, “you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes… where they’ve been, where they’re going…” Some people think it’s excessive, and my friends poke fun at me for it, but I think it makes the wardrobe possibilities endless—which is does. So, I will stand by my boot collection any day.

1. Use your connections.

My older sister is a model, my mother has impeccable taste in fashion and clothing, and that certain gene seemed to skip over me. I’m not saying I’m awful with getting dressed in the morning, I’m just saying that more often than not, I base my outfits from pins on my PINTEREST boards labeled “clothing” or “winter outfits” and the like.Although a fluffy example, it’s perfect, because I wasn’t born with the skill, but I certainly have a way of obtaining it…and that’s what connections are all about.

Ladies, life is plain and simply a beautiful struggle. Curveballs are thrown at us everyday, and our stress levels are often uncontrollable. But as Forrest Gump said, “I don’t know if we each have a destiny, or if we’re all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze. I, I think maybe it’s both. Maybe both are happening at the same time.” We just have to go where life takes us, feel good, and make the most of each day. Hold on to your quirks, and keep the tricks coming, because underneath it all, we’re all hot messes disguised as beautiful women. 

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20