Restaurant Review: The Cake Bake Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As much as we all love DePauw, sometimes Greencastle can get a little boring. Luckily, our close proximity from Indianapolis makes it fairly easy to get away for an evening. This past weekend, a few friends and I took a road trip to celebrate a birthday and enjoy some delicious pastries at The Cake Bake Shop. The French inspired bakery is located in a quant white cottage in Broad Ripple (near Butler’s campus). Upon walking in, the quant cottage opened up into a bright dining area. Mardi Gras esque sequined skull accessories punctuated the normally whitewashed décor for Halloween. A large window over the display counter allows customers to see the pastry chefs hard at work in the kitchen.

Although on the pricier end ($10/slice of cake), the cakes and pastries were top notch. Their most popular dessert seems to be the chocolate cake, but everyone in my group loved their selections. I ordered the “Marie Antoinette”, a raspberry macaroon filled with frosting and fresh raspberries and topped chocolate and more frosting. The Cake Bake Shop also offers some appetizers such as soups and cheese boards, plus a decent sized wine list- we ordered a bottle of champagne of course. Their menu also includes sweet drinks like spiced cider, hot chocolate, and mock tails.

None of us had any complaints about our selections or the fabulous wait staff! Our two servers were so friendly and excited to hear that we were visiting from DePauw! I would highly recommend visiting The Cake Bake Shop for your next girls’ night out. Make sure to eat dinner beforehand, but save room for dessert!

Depauw '17 I'm from Dublin, Oh and I write for the style blog :)