RA Reality Check

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

If there is one thing on this campus that every student has had in common, it’s his or her “First Year Resident Assistants”. The FYRA staff currently consists of forty-three positions that have been filled with the school’s most qualified students.  The job of an any RA is simple: make sure the residents are safe and present yourself as a support system for anyone who needs it. But, the role of a First Year Resident Assistant is a bit different, and a bit more involved. These student leaders are responsible for the freshman on campus; helping them adjust to life on their own, their classes, getting to know people an things around campus, and most importantly, making sure they are safe and making healthy decisions.

Each first year residence hall has between one and two FYRAs to assume the position of a pseudo-mom or dad. The job is laced with responsibilities, group bonding, excessive amounts of pizza, and a cute little flip phone that has to stay on a loud ring at all hours of the night when you’re on duty. So I talked to a one newly hired FYRA and one returning FYRA to hear their thoughts on the position.

Returning RA, sophomore Carlie Vaughn is the current Hogate Four Resident Assistant. When I asked her why she applied for the job again, she replied by expressing her love for her role on campus; “this position gives me the opportunity to meet with and to help people across campus from different backgrounds and I love that feeling when you can help someone, in any way.” I asked Nathan Fox, current first year student, and newly hired FYRA for the 2013-2014 school year the same question. He replied that he “really loved how the RAs really became our first friends and really pushed us to get ourselves out there. They created a support base for us freshman, and I really wanted to be a part of that process next year.”

But, of course, being an RA isn’t all fun and rewarding. An FYRA, especially, has the very important job of keeping the all students, but most importantly their first year residents safe in situations, specifically those involving alcohol. In many situations, Resident Assistants must write up someone for behavior that goes against school policy. In worst-case scenarios, RAs are responsible for calling Public Safety to handle the situation. These responsibilities cannot be thought of lightly, but it all comes with the job.

Fox stated that he “wasn’t excited to deal with all the drama” that might come from a certain situation, but “I’ll manage” he said. He is too excited about “getting to know more people and becoming a team with the other RAs and residents.” Vaughn has survived a year thus far with some crazy kids, and said, “the best and most fun part of the job is seeing what my residents will do next or try to get away with. It’s fun and exciting and has made me a strong leader and student mentor and friend.”

Campus Living and Community Development interviewed 84 candidates for the 43 FYRA positions available for the 2013-2014 school year. They hired the cream of the crop for the job, and needless to say, all newly hired students are excited about their positions! The job comes with many responsibilities, but most importantly, the RAs of this campus provide a friendly face, a support system, and a pizza provider to all residents of campus housing. All of our RAs, especially our FYRAs have been great influences on us, and I urge you to take a moment and appreciate what they gave you your first year away from home. With the newly hired staff for next year, the first year students are going to be in for a real treat as they embark on the journey of collegiate life.

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20