Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Mary Kate Etling

Posted Sep 18 2012 - 3:49pm

While most people’s summers consist of going to baseball games, one DePauw student was able to be a part of them. Sophomore Mary Kate Etling worked as an On-Field Entertainer, or as the team liked to call her, a “Rexciter”. Her Campus sat down with Mary Kate to find out more about this great opportunity.

Her Campus: So what exactly did you do this summer?

Mary Kate: I worked for the Terre Haute Rex, a collegiate summer baseball team in my hometown. My position was the on-field entertainment, where I would go onto the field between innings and try to pump up the crowd, and also bring kids and adults out to play games!

HC: Wow! That sounds like so much fun! How did you find out about it?

MK: Last summer I attended the majority of the games and became extremely interested in doing something involving both sports and being around a lot of people!

HC: What was your favorite part of the job?

MK: I loved being able to do something that I really enjoy, while also getting to watch the baseball games! I was able to meet a lot of new people and get experience in the field I am interested in pursuing.

HC: So what are you hoping to do after DePauw?

MK: I would like to be a sportscaster and a sports journalist. My dream is to be a broadcaster for ESPN. The easiest way to put it is by telling people that I want to be the future Erin Andrews.

HC: That would be so cool! Do you do anything at DePauw that is preparing you for that?

MK: DePauw has an incredible Communications department, and specifically my advisor has been extremely helpful in pursing my goals. So far I’ve been able to do a lot of things in the department that pertain to my interests. Last Winter Term I worked for WGRE and was able to do sportscasts, this semester I am taking a class called Electronic Journalism that helps teach students how to write newscasts, and work both on the WGRE and D3TV. I also hope to get involved in D3TV once volleyball season concludes.

It looks like Mary Kate is a celebrity at DePauw and in the Terre Haute area. Who knows how long it will be before everyone knows who she is? ESPN, here she comes.

Fill out my online form.
You Might Also Like...