How to With Sass…. How to be the best BFF on campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
How to with sass
By Katie Cassidy and Sam Wong

How to be the best BFF on campus:

Besides/ hopefully a diploma, there are a few other things you will leave this campus with. The first and most important is a group of friends whom you will love and cherish for the rest of your life.  There are many types of lovely girls on this campus with whom you may associate yourself with; some to party with, some to study with, some to make yourself look better (kidding).  Regardless of who it is, you don’t want to lose these best buds.  Here is a guide to finding and keeping the good, the bad, and the ugly.

How to be the best BFF on campus:

1) We all have our moments, whether it’s that time of the month or maybe you’re just having a crazy moment. This would be when honesty is not the best policy, by no means should you tell your BFF she is being a nut case. Lie, say she’s totally in the right and she definitely should have sent those 50 texts in row to that guy last night.

2)You guys are best friends for a reason, you share each others clothes, makeup…. Oh yeah and sometimes you guys share the same guy. Things can get tricky when this happens, but the best way to handle this situation is to let her have him. There’s a lot of fish in the sea, and chances are he’s not worth it. Tell her he definitely likes her more (when he obviously is in love with you) and that she should go for it!

3) We all have those friends whose weekends go from Monday- Saturday, Sunday being their only day of rest.  Many people on campus might think they have a problem, but it is certainly not your place to say anything if you want to stay BFFLs. Tell her she just likes to have fun…. A lot of fun, and that everyone just doesn’t understand her on going relationship with Jose, Jack, and Jim.

4) Have you ever ran into your pal at good ol’ Roy O, and listened to her talk about all the work she has this week; tests, papers, busy work, etc. You walk away feeling a little more stressed out, freaked out, maybe even some anxiety issues develop after your encounter with this beloved friend. But, then you realize… wait we all go to the same school, with the same professors, homework, tests, etc… I mean this is college people no one should be sitting on their fanny eating a sack of potato chips all week.  By no means should you drop this nifty piece of knowledge on this friend though. What you need to tell this friend is that, “You have to be the busiest person I know, I mean two finals and a paper, that’s crazy!” Assure her that everything will be ok, and if you have an inhaler maybe even give her a couple puffs before she passes out.

5) The friend with the boyfriend that makes her cry every weekend (for the past four years). In the beginning you actually did feel bad for this girl, no one wants their best friend to be crying (especially when you’re at the jungle party and everyone else is watching). You might have tried lines like, “you deserve better” or “You can have any other guy”, but then you realized three years later these lines are not working! So you might try lines like these, “ it’s ok sweetie everyone else is crying this weekend too” or “ Even though he ripped your heart in two, I know he really loves you”.

6) Remember that time the two of you used to spend every waking minute together?  Finishing each other’s sentences, taking all of the same classes, hitting up the Lily center at the same time, setting one alarm to wake the both of you up.  This is all a time of the past, thanks to a new “best friend” who has taken your spot, more commonly known as the boyfriend.  Don’t take this as something negative, it should only be a wake-up call to find a man of your own, or if all else fails; latch on and become the third wheel.  

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.