How to Avoid a Bummer Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the weather is warm, and everyone on campus seems to be outside. Thoughts turn from spring break plans to summer activity ideas and like any sane college student you want to avoid being stuck at home doing nothing all summer. Sure you get all your meals for free and maybe if your lucky your laundry done for you but hanging around with your parents all summer just doesn’t seem ideal. Instead, here are some ideas for a better way to spend your summer.

Get an Internship!

You have probably heard this same suggestion from your parents, and maybe you advisor, but it’s good to hear it again. An internship is a great way to get experience in a potential job or career and can be a great way to see another part of the country. Even an internship in something not pertaining to your major can still give you get references and work experience. You can contact the DePauw’s Center of Student Engagement or visit their office in the lobby of the UB building to get started finding an internship for this summer.

Get a Job!

Okay I know this one seems obvious – lifeguarding at your local pool like you’ve done for the past 5 years. Instead, try finding a job in a different city or something that will get you out and doing something. Try looking for fun jobs in cities or places you would want to travel to. Summer camps are always looking for camp counselors; you would make money and get to spend the summer doing fun activities (plus your meals and laundry would be free too!). Different businesses, like those in the agriculture industry, are always looking for volunteers who would be willing to work for free in exchange for free room and board. Be creative in your search and even try and get a group for friends to do it with you. Even if you aren’t making money the experience and reference are good to have for the future.

Travel!

Look for different trips being offered in your hometown (or even from DePauw). Many local trips may be offered in your hometown or with your church or other affiliate. Whether it be a foreign or domestic trip, these can be a fun and unique way to spend your summer. Service projects are another great way to get out and help out a great cause. Things such as habitat for humanity or other trips can be a great way to give back to different communities and make a difference.

Whether or not you have you summer plans nailed down yet, make sure you act quick on before any opportunities can fill up. The Center of Student Engagement is a great resource to use to get different idea on things to do and can also be helpful in putting together an application for any type of internship or job to ensure you have something to do this summer.