FALL for These WINTER Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The leaves have fallen. The days are getting shorter. The air is getting colder. The heat is on. Only it’s not quite winter yet. We passed that awkward transition phase where we weren’t sure if those colored skinny jeans were still appropriate to wear, but now we wonder if we need to add another layer over our favorite flannel shirt. Baby, it’s cold outside, but it is still Fall.

There are so many great trends for this betwixt season that it’s hard to decide which one to try first. Infinity scarves, combat boots, super skinny jeans, patterned pants, chunky sweaters, button-down blouses, oxford brogues, cross-body bags, smoking slippers…the list goes on and on and on. Where do we even begin?

My personal favorite item for both fall and winter is the chunky knit sweater. I’m known to borrow (aka steal) vintage, hand knit ones from my mom’s closet on a regular basis. They are so warm, fuzzy, comfortable, and chic at the same time. Style AND comfort, now that’s what I call a win-win. When paired with skinny jeans or leggings, chunky sweaters look fantastic and feel comfortable, the perfect combination. Throw on your favorite pair of boots, grab a cross-body bag, and you’re ready to go!

I also have a small obsession with patterned pants and infinity scarves.  So, what better way to wear them than together! Patterned pants can be tricky, but if you find a really great pair, like this pastel colored floral pair, you can’t go wrong. Keep it simple. Pair them with a solid, neutral colored tunic shirt and throw on your favorite neutral infinity scarf. One of the best things about patterned pants is that you can pair them with just about any shoes that you choose. I love boots (combat or others) with them, but studded slippers, brogues, or other flats work well, too.

Looking for something a little bolder? Pair those bright skinny jeans from summer or that new pair of cords (oxblood, bright teal, bright mustard, hunter green, etc.) with a black shirt or sweater. Then, add a chunky scarf that pulls all the colors together. The contrast between the color and the black is striking, and the scarf ties everything together nicely (no pun intended). A great pair of black riding boots or flats will finish the look off perfectly.

Are you falling for some other winter trends? What are they? Let us know and we’ll feature them in our next fashion article!

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20