Athletes Attract

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Being in a relationship at a small school like DePauw can be tough sometimes, but can be even tougher when both partners are super busy. Some students have a demanding class schedule or heavy workload, but they’re able to make up for it on the weekends or celebrate right after that big exam they’ve been studying long nights for all week. But what happens when you can’t hang out after that big commitment that’s kept you from seeing boy toy all week? Or neither of you are even on campus until late Sunday night? If you haven’t guessed already, we’re referring to the dedicated athletes here at DePauw who manage to make their relationships work, despite both of them being on Varsity athletic teams. From both partners being on the soccer team to field hockey and football player romance, athletes in love have to find the perfect mix of time management and creativity to maintain that healthy spark.

Couple: Lauren Leipprandt and Taylor Wagner (Answers by Lauren)
Year: Juniors
Sport: Soccer and Football
Together since January 31st, 2011

When asked what makes the pair different, Lauren responds, “Well, Taylor has no sense of smell, which helps during soccer season when I tend to be sweaty and smelly”.

Couple: Kat Wilson and Cody Crook
Year: Juniors
Sport: Soccer and Football

What does this pair have in common? In the words of Cody, “Meatin’ out hard and gettin’ swole!”

Couple: Jack Burgeson and Sydney Sprawls (Answers by both)
Year: Sophomores
Sport: Swimming and Field Hockey
Together for 7 months

This pair connected in a dorm party in Lucy Hall the first weekend of college, and then again at the 80’s dance.

Couple: Christy Fillenwarth and Andrew Desmarais (Answers by Christy)
Year: Seniors
Sport: Soccer
Together for almost 2 years

Christy says, “A romantic evening for Andrew and me consists of icing each other or rubbing out the lactic acid from our muscles.  Or we spend the weekend together traveling on a bus for games– W-I-L-D, huh?”

Grace is a Communications Major at DePauw University. She enjoys traveling, music, shopping, and being in the sun.