Who to watch out for and listen to in 2017!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

We all know that 2016 was a year of music to remember. With so many talented artists bursting onto the music scene 2017 is shaping up to be no different. Although it’s still early days there’s been no shortage of young musicians who have already showcased their talent both in performance and song-writing. So without further ado here’s 3 artists you need to check out in 2017.   

Anne-Marie.  

Anne-Marie is a 25 year old singer/songwriter from England who came onto the music scene in 2013 but has only surfaced as an esteemed artist in the past year and has featured on songs with Magnetic Man, Gorgon City and Rudimental. Her most famous feature on a song to date is her collaboration with Clean Bandit and Sean Paul on the single “Rockabye” which reached No.1 on the Billboard Charts for 9 consecutive weeks and scored the pinnacle Christmas No.1. As well as her collaborations, her own solo singles have made it into the charts including “Alarm” which reached No.16 in the charts as well as her most recent released single “Ciao Adios” which is currently sitting at No.11 in the Irish iTunes charts. While she may still be unknown to many Anne-Marie is well worth checking out.  From addictive hooks to relatable lyrics and multiple award nominations from MOBOs to Brit Awards under her belt there’s no doubt she’s a fierce female and one to watch! 

Rag’n’Bone Man 

Rag’n’Bone Man has had a whirlwind of 2017 already. His first hit single “Human” topped the charts after soaring a massive 68 places following a performance on the X Factor. To add to his success he also received British Breakthrough Act and Choice Award at the 2017 Brit Awards. The 32 year old Essex singer/ songwriter originally associated himself as a hip-hop artist but has acknowledged his roots in jazz, courtesy of his father. He has also received TV coverage after performing on Jools Holland’s New Year’s Eve show. His newest single “Skin” is sitting nicely at no.18 in the Official Charts. His deep, rich, soulful voice and his raw lyrics have gained him chart-topping hits and it is well deserved. We’re looking forward to hearing his other songs from his debut album “Human”, if they are as successful as his previous 2 he is in for a very good year!  

Izzy Bizu  

Izzy Bizu is a 22 year old English-Ethiopian singer/songwriter who started in the music industry as a member of a former girl group SoundGirl which then split and Bizu then went on to pursue a solo career. Back in 2016 she had her first successful single “White Tiger” which made its way into the Official Charts. While she may not be known to many she has gained radio support from BBC Radio 1’s Annie Mac and Zayn Lowe. She also received the BBC Music Introducing Award back in 2016. She has also supported Sam Smith, Rudimental and Foxes in previous tours and has performed at Glastonbury Festival on the Park Stage. With 2017 came a new album for Bizu, “A Moment of Madness” which has already has been an instant success with the release of the single “Talking to You” which has reached to no.56 in the charts. Izzy Bizu’s music maintains a chilled summer vibe and her tone of voice is very unique. She has also received TV coverage from the likes of The Graham Norton Show. If you are looking for an artist who is easy to listen to while taking it easy of a Sunday, then Izzy is the woman for the job!  

Thumbnail by Alice Moore

Hi I'm Emily and I am a second year Communications studies student from Dublin. I love writing about all things college life-related from beauty to travel so stay tuned for more!
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.