Staple Pieces You Need in your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

There is no better feeling than a clean, organized and coordinated wardrobe. You feel like you have just lifted a weight off your shoulders and can breathe freely again, without rummaging through a wedged closet of unworn clothing.

Clothes hoarding is real and we are all victims, both ladies and gents. So, how do we declutter all the unnecessary clothes that were once on trend? Your answer is a timeless capsule wardrobe. A capsule wardrobe contains key items of clothing that will never lose its fashionable status, carrying you through the years.

Photo by Igor Ovsyannykov

Here are some staple wardrobe pieces every girl needs in her closet:

Jeans: Black jeans, light/mid/dark wash jeans, white jeans and any colour you desire is a must. The style is down to self-preference but generally skinny jeans are the most flattering and figure-hugging for all body types. Do I even need to explain why you need a good pair of jeans? A life without denim is a life not worth knowing at all.

Black Leather Jacket: You can never go wrong with a perfect leather jacket. Styled over a zipped hoodie for a relaxed look will take you from the lecture hall or right through to the dance floordancefloor at 3am. The leather jacket is a classic which has been rebranded in recent years and brought to runways by Gucci, Balenciaga and Jean Paul Gaultier. There are so many styles from oversized to studded which have been spotted on fashion influencers like Alexa Chung, Gigi Hadid and Cara Delevingne.

Little Black DressBD: We all have that little black dress we turn to in times of doubt. There are endless style choices, from designer to high street. Once a girl finds her LBD that makes her feel most comfortable and fabulous, you’ll probably see that dress make a few appearances. A LBD is so easily styled, it’s almost hard to go wrong.

Blouse/Shirt: A minimalistic shirt needs to be hanging in your wardrobe. There are so many styles to choose varying from detailed to basic. The smallest detailing can make such a difference to an outfit and detailed shirts are very much an ongoing trend. From embroidery to embellishment, you can add the slightest detailing to the most basic of outfits that will take you from day to night.

Plain T-Shirt: Long sleeve or short sleeve, you need to pick up some black and white t-shirts. They are great for layering in the cold weather or teamed with some shorts/skirts in the summer. Pop into your local Penney’s and stock up on those basics for only €4-€5!

Black Lace Top/Bodysuit: Lace is a trend that will never leave us, it is so delicate and detailed. A lace top will become your new best friend as it’s so versatile and can be styled so many ways. For a daytimeday time look, team a basic white t-shirt under a lace top and channel your inner 90s self. The Kardashian sisters have been fans of this trend with Kim, Kendall and Kylie all spotted wearing the layering trend. Lace tops go perfectly with a mini leather skirt or some high-waisted jeans.

Boots: There is such a variety of boots to choose from with an array of styles. Ankle boots to knee-high boots should carry you from day to night. Knee-high boots have the power to dress up an outfit that will carry you to the nightclub. It goes without saying that ankle boots are a staple for any daytime outfit that will bring you from winter to summer.

Trainers/Runners: Every wardrobe should include a pair of trainers. They are the most practical pair of shoes which go with every outfit and perfect for college, shopping or the gym. You can choose from some old-school Vans or Converse to some Nikes or Adidas. The list is endless.

The top tip to maintaining a capsule wardrobe is to keep everything neutral, add detailing or a pop of colour through your accessories like jewellery or scarves. Personally, I love wearing all black teamed with some layered necklaces, stacked rings and my over worn Adidas Originals.

If you’re planning to declutter, ask yourself when was the last time you wore it and if you really need it. Anything you’ve decided to part ways with, drop them into your local charity shop because they are always grateful for donations.

There you have it, your key pieces to the ultimate capsule wardrobe. Hopefully you’ve been inspired to have a clear out or even pick up some essentials you’re missing out on!

https://unsplash.com/

Communication Studies student. 20 years of age.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.