danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Part Time Job, Full Time Life: The Ongoing Struggles of Being a Working Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Let’s face it, the fake tan, the new dress and the leap card top ups aren’t going to pay for themselves. We all know working while in college, for most people, is not just a bit of bob on the side but a necessity for everyday living both at home and in college. Juggling the workload of being in college and working not just weekends and eveningsbut sometimes evenings too, can be exhausting. But don’t worry, by following some of these top tips, you’ll be keeping more than just the customer happy.

Time management is key. Spend time on a Sunday evening working out your week. When am I in work? Are there any deadlines I need to get on top of? Make sure to slot in time for yourself and organise meeting your friends, doing so will make the week much more durable. Wake up on Monday morning a little bit more prepared for whatever the week has for you. Whether it’s related to work or college!

Photo by Dustin Lee

Preparation is essential when taking on a part time job while in college. From organising things such as bus times, food plans, group meetings and all things college, it’s so important to have a plan so you can balance everything. Don’t worry too much, taking college and work one day at a time is just as important.

Work hard and you will feel better! It’s like anything else in life, motivating yourself to go on that jog or deciding to make dinner instead of ordering food, you always feel so much better after. It’s the same with college, working hard will get you places.

This is the part where I remind you that college comes first, always. Sure, the retail store you work in is great and has amazing discounts for staff, but it’s simply a page in the chapter of your college experience. And if you’re happy where you are for the rest of your life, then what are doing in University?

There will always be another job, but you might not get another chance at your degree. So, a final tip, if you find yourself overworked because that part time job is starting to feel like a full time one, remove yourself from that situation. Start looking for something with fewer hours and less stress. If you’re coming home from a job working in a supermarket feeling stressed, trust me, you’re focusing too much on the wrong things.

Take time to be happy. Enjoy the fact that at the minute, you’re only working to some extent and you can still make time to go out with your friends on weekdays and attend a lecture half dead the next morning! Remember, you’re not the only sales assistant sitting in that lecture, but make sure you’re not the last.

https://unsplash.com/

My name is Katie Geraghty and I am currently studying Communication Studies in DCU. I am Irish born and breed and love to write about all things fashion, lifestyle and travel!
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.