neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Judge A Book By Its Cover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

I am fortunate enough that my course involves being around the 3 campuses in DCU – Glasnevin, St. Patricks College and All Hallows. As DCU students 16,700 students surround us. 16,700 different faces, styles, and most importantly different stories. We tend to pass one another by in a lecture hall or holding the door as a common courteously. We look at people with our eyes and judge one another without realising from what we look like from the ‘outside.’ Whether it be from fashion sense to facial expression we tend to create opinions of one another, but what we don’t get to see with our eyes is the inside of a student, the inside being our minds. Some students who may look cool, calm and collected may be lost inside, lonely and low. The pressures for us students are endless, but it’s important to know that none of us are alone. Let’s try and express ourselves both inside and outside, because let’s face it ladies and gents, we are all beautiful. Here are a few simple steps to help you and others.  

1.     Smile: 

It sounds a little bit silly and cringe but it works. ‘Smile in the mirror. Do that every morning and you’ll start to see a big difference in your life.’ Smiling is great for many reasons especially for your mental health. Smiling can help boost your mood, make you feel a tad more confident and it also reduces stress. Smiling is also contagious, so whether you are passing someone on the street, hallway or holding the door for them, give them a non-creepy smile and a hello, not only will it boost your mood but it will boost theirs too, it’s a win win! You never know, that student may have been having a bad day and you could may it that little bit better with just one simple technique. 

2.     Clubs and Societies: 

Sometimes when we are feeling blue we tend to isolate ourselves from everyone around us, this is not healthy. Clubs and Societies are designed to help you get involved with your passion and most importantly meet others that have the same interest as you. Some people may find it hard to start a conversation out of fear of rejection however whatever club or society you join you can discuss the club itself as a starting topic and the rest will start to unravel as you begin. This will make you feel accepted and wanted. If you see a new member at a meeting, go over and introduce yourself to them as this will make yourself and them feel ten times better and relaxed.  Here is a link of societies available on campus. https://www4.dcu.ie/students/az/clubs-societies.  

3.     Have a Girlie Study Date/ Treat Yo-self day: 

One thing I love hosting more than pre-drinks is study dates. I love when all the girls sit together and help each other out with stuff we don’t understand relating to our course. We all come to mine and eat some junk, junk is an essential must have and just get the stress away. Not going to lie, sometimes we get no work done and other times we do. But it is far better than sitting on your own feeling stressed and upset. Coming together and getting work done will make you feel happy and also united as you’ll feel like you’re not the only one struggling on a topic. Plus, it can be an excuse to chill with your besties, what more could you want? There are times when I want me time too, so I get my comfortable leggings and top on, bake some brownies, and watch endless Netflix.  

4.      Writing and Music: 

Get your fluffy pyjamas on, light a candle, get your favourite notepad out and just write, write and write. Whether it’s your emotions, a diary or a list of your goals, writing can be very therapeutic. Sometimes when I’m feeling a little bit low, I write out all my emotions, tear the page and place it in the bin. For me personally it makes me start a new fresh positive chapter. Music is also a great soul and mind healer, Spotify is my go to app for music. It has a playlist for every mood, a PMS playlist? Yes please! Others say reading can also help, as an English student, I’m constantly reading  positivity books. My fave is The Cosy Life by Pia Edberg. 

5.     Talk it Out: 

Sometimes no matter what we do, we can still feel low and upset. We tend to bottle up our emotions as we feel friends and family may not understand. Here at DCU we have great counselling services. It is completely confidential and free https://www.dcu.ie/counselling/index.shtml.  As a DCU student myself I have recently attended counselling at home and will later write a blog post about my experiences but so far so good, I would highly recommend it if you’re feeling too shy to talk about your feelings to someone you may know. 

It’s important to know that each of the 16,700 students on campus have different stories and problems. But just know that you are not alone and we all in this together. Take care of yourself and I hope you enjoyed reading. 

Thumbnail by Eli Francis

Photo by Josh Applegate

21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve! 
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.