A “Twee” Bit of Dr. Fackler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Ladies, put down that spring edition of Vogue. Step away from the People StyleWatch. For superlative style inspiration, look no further than Davidson’s English department. Revered by students for her unparalleled teaching prowess and unique assortment of course options, Dr. Maria Fackler is unanimously Davidson’s most stylish faculty member. This week, Dr. Fackler sat down with us to discuss her own style inspiration and fashion essentials and to offer a few tips for fellow fashion-conscious Davidson students.

Dr. Fackler is an associate professor of English and a professor of gender and sexuality studies at Davidson. Her current classes are Literary Analysis, British Literature since 1945 and Avant-Garde Literature. Some of her favorite classes she’s taught are Avant-Garde Literature, British Literature since 1945, Desire and a seminar on Gossip.

Style icons: “Olivia Palermo, the everyday style of Dita Von Teese, Baroness Schraeder from The Sound of Music and style blogger Blair Eadie.”

Signature item or clothing staple: “I almost exclusively wear dresses.”

Current style obsession: “Costume jewelry, especially big and bold costume jewelry.”

Designer inspirations: “Diane von Fürstenberg, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and Kate Spade – especially Kate Spade’s coats.”

Your style in one word: “Twee, but in the original sense of the word. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as ‘sweet, dainty, chic.’ It’s a little bit quirky, and a little bit precious.”

Do Davidson students have a signature or unique style? What do you think of the Davidson student style?

“Yes, it’s typically brown boots, black leggings, a Longchamp bag, and a sweater or a shirt. But I will say that Davidson students are very well dressed. I have some very stylish students.”

Can you give any advice for students looking to dress to impress for an internship or job interview?

“Wear something that is quintessentially you, something that shows your personality. Dress professionally and inhabit the role that you wish to have at the firm.”

Davidson College English Major