Breast Self Examination and Early Detection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

As young adults, we often think of ourselves as being invincible. We frequently say to ourselves that we won’t get an STI, we won’t get pregnant, and we especially won’t get cancer. Unfortunately, for some, some of these things are not true. I feel like we as a society and on a smaller level, Davidson, have been doing a better job of recognizing the realities and possible consequences of particular sexual behaviors. I believe, however, that many us of us still feel as though we are invulnerable to illness.

There have been several young women that I know who have detected both benign and malignant tumors in their breast tissues. Most people know that the older you get, the more you should self examine for breast cancer, but when does “older” start? I say it should start now. I write this not to scare anyone; it is simply so much better that if there is something to catch you catch it early. With the help of Carolinas Medical Center and Susan G. Komen, here are the two steps to breast self-examination (BSE):

Step One – Look for Changes

In front of the Mirror:

·      Hold your arms at your side

·      Hold your arms over your head

·      Press your hands on your hips and tighten your chest muscles 

·      Bend forward with your hands on your hips

Step Two – Feel for Changes

Lying Down or While Bathing

·      Lie down on your back with a pillow under your right shoulder 

·      Use the pads of the three middle fingers on your left hand to check your right breast

·      Press using light, medium, and firm pressure in a circle without lifting your fingers off the skin

·      Follow an up and down pattern 

·      Feel for changes in your breast, above, and below your collarbone and in your armpit

·      Repeat on you left breast using your left hand

If you notice any changes in your breasts, you should consult a health care provider right away. Lastly, everyone should have a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years starting at 20! It is important that we take care of our minds, bodies, and spirits; it is never too early to start.

If you want more information, look here