10 Things that you must do Freshman Year at CU Boulder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The University of Colorado-Boulder was rated the number one college town in America by the Best College Reviews. They are not wrong. There are so many fun things to do in Boulder year-round. First-year students want to make sure to complete these highlights to say you thrived during your first year of college.

Rocky Mountain Showdown

The Rocky Mountain Showdown is the most rowdy football game of the year, CU vs. CSU. Colorado State University has been Boulder’s rival forever. The competition is super intense and suspenseful. Make sure you know the “It sucks, to be, a CSU Ram” chant, or else you will be missing out! SKO Buffs!

Hike Chautauqua

Boulder is known for its outdoor activities and beautiful nature scene. Therefore you MUST go on a hike. Chautauqua Park has many picturesque views that are amazing for Instagram. It is located right off the University Hill, so not too far from campus. However, getting to the top may take quite some time. If you are feeling lazy, I would suggest ordering an uber up to Lost Gulch to get those aesthetically pleasing pictures. 

Explore Pearl Street

Pearl Street is Boulder’s own personal mini NYC. It homes quirky street performers, yummy restaurants, and super hip stores like Free People, Urban Outfitters, and a trendy thrift store, Buffalo Exchange. I would recommend going to eat and Pasta Jays or Japango. Make sure to come with an empty stomach, and you will not regret it. 

Do Homework on Farrand Field

Farrand Field is located in the heart of the campus. It has one of the most beautiful views of the Flatirons on campus. There will never be a day when you don’t see Farrand Field on someone’s Snapchat story. People are always playing games, listening to music, or hammocking on the field. Every time I go out to the area, dogs are running around, there are such good vibes at Farrand Field. 

Rush a Soroity or Fraternity 

According to Unigo, only 13 percent of CU’s students participate in Greek life. This seems like a small amount, but to put this in perspective, the undergraduate class of CU consists of 27,376 students. Almost every student admits that rush was a great experience, whether they joined Greek life, or not. It is easy to get lost at such a big school, and rushing is an easy way to meet new people. 

Eat at The Sink on the University Hill

The Sink is one of the best restaurants on the University Hill, which is located right on the edge of campus. They have unique burgers, like The Hawaiian. It contains mozzerlla cheese, bacon, Fresno jam, grilled pineapples, and scallions. The walls are covered with writings and signatures from past customers, some even from 1982! The Sink is so good that Obama choose to eat there when he was in Boulder!

Go to The X-Games

The X-Games is an intense winter sports competition held every year in Aspen, Colo, at the base of the Buttermilk mountain. It is held at the end of January every year. At night, they hold a massive concert that some people even consider a festival. Big names like DJ Snake and Kygo have performed at the X-Games in the past. Students and people from all over gather in Aspen for the weekend to ski, watch the games, and dance all night long.

Attend a Show at The Fox Theater

The Fox Theater is conveniently located on the University Hill and is an excellent venue for concerts. The Fox has had artists like Kygo, 30H!3, and Julia Michaels play at this venue. What makes it even better is that the tickets are pretty cheap, around 25 dollars. Also, there are a selection of restaurants open late, and therefore, after the concert, you can fulfill your post-concert munchies.

Eat Brunch at The Buff

The Buff is one of the best restaurants in Boulder for breakfast or brunch. Every weekend, there is at least a 30-minute wait, and most people choose to wait because it is that good. They have a specialty coffee called the White Buffalo, which you can order hot or cold. On Sundays, The Buff offers one-dollar mimosas so you can start your morning right. In addition to their infamous drinks, they have a fabulous selection of omelets and skillets that will have you feeling full the entire day. 

Shop at the 29th Street Mall

The 29th Street Mall is conveniently close to campus and the University Hill. It holds some awesome stores like Brandy Melville, The Apple Store, and Anthropologie. The mall also has some delicious restaurants like Panera and Five Guys. It has cute murals painted around the street that are perfect for photoshoots. During Christmas time, the mall is lit up by colorful lights. They even have an enormous tree in the center of the of the mall along with plastic igloo huts to keep you warm. 

Even if Boulder is not the school for you, it is a place that everyone should visit in once if their lifetime to experience all the activities it has to offer. 

Belle Mead

CU Boulder '21

Belle Mead grew up in Manasquan, New Jersey, and for the past four years, attended at The University of Colorado Boulder. She majored in Journalism and minored in Creative Writing. Belle absolutely loves photography, fashion, and traveling. In the future, Belle aspires to write for Cosmopolitan or any lifestyle based magazine. She was also apart of the sorority, Alpha Chi Omega and the photography club at CU. 
Sko Buffs!