What Kind of Traveler Are You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Ah, to travel! Traveling means different things for different people. Whether it’s a backpacking trek through Europe, a Caribbean cruise or a cross-country road-trip, traveling means leaving your home and exploring somewhere else—miles away, or the town next door. Traveling can push us out of our comfort zones, force us to pick up a few conversational phrases in Japanese or French, or just allow us to unwind and pick up a tan. Wanderlust is a beautiful thing, and it can take you to places unbelievable and perfect, in their own ways.

What kind of trip is right for you? Maybe the idea of hiking through the Himalayas sounds like a nightmare, or maybe a cake-walk. Maybe you just want to sit at a Parisian café with a book and watch the world go by. Or, if you’re like me, you just can’t wait to try the cuisine a new place has to offer. In this article, I’ll go through a few travel personalities and explore some destinations that might be right for you!

Cultural Traveler

A cultural traveler is someone who likes to completely immerse themselves in a new location to learn about a different culture, and themselves. If the fun of traveling for you comes through getting to know the vibe and people of a place, then you are a cultural traveler. As great as the scenery and sights are, there’s nothing like learning how to act like a local! Talk it up with your waiters at a café and the people you meet sitting in the park or next to you on line, and be sure to pick up a few words in the language. It’s important for cultural travelers to experience the places they visit as more than being tourists. People watch while sipping a cappuccino, visit the food markets, historic sites, different communities and neighborhood to learn about the residents of the location. Leave home, whether it is for a week, month, or year, and when you return, you will have discovered a new part of yourself because you immersed yourself in another culture. Next time you return to Italy, Paris, Cambodia, or wherever you are, you won’t be a tourist. You’ll have enriched your life learning about another culture.

Recommended Destinations: Any place that piques your interest.

Adventurous Traveler

Your motto is “Bring me that horizon,” Jack Sparrow-style. Traveling is an adventure, a time to throw yourself onto the world and see where it takes you. Eat at all of the shady, alley-way local restaurants and order by pointing to the menu, swim with sharks and manta rays, bask in the sun with lions in the savannah, glide over the rainforest, or hike up Everest! The world is full of possibilities to put you out of your comfort zone, physically and mentally. May your trips challenge you so you can come home chock full ‘o stories that people can hardly believe. Bring your battle scars, an open mind, and an adventuring spirit. The world is a place to trek and to experience fully, and boundlessly.

Destination recommendations: Bhutan, Machu Picchu, Morocco, Kenya, Alaska

Leisurely Traveler

When spring break and summer vacation roll around, you have the right idea: get me to a beach! Or the mountains, or lakes—the most relaxing destination available! Travel, for leisurely travelers, is all about rejuvenation and relaxation. Why travel and work hard doing while it? Travel is an escape from the real world.  Lean back, relax, listen to the waves, and enjoy yourself. Make sure you bring a good book and some sunscreen. The world has so many to kick back and relax in; now you have to discover which ones are best for you.

Destination Recommendations: Bermuda, St. John, Greek islands, cruises (multiple destinations and luxurious boat? I think yes!), Naples, Hawaii, Adirondacks

Nature Traveler

There’s nothing like the Great Outdoors. Many of us feel trapped by tall buildings or suburbia, and vacation is the perfect opportunity to return to nature. Whether you are hoping for a cell-service-free zone, or a hotel with beautiful views and amenities, there are a variety of options for nature-lovers to get back to their favorite atmosphere. Enjoy the soothing sounds of crickets putting you to sleep and birds’ chirping waking you up. No car horns to be heard.

Destination Recommendations:  Yellowstone National Park, Patagonia, Iceland, Galapagos Islands

Culinary Traveler

Shout out to all of you who fuel your travel lust on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations, or who be sure to vary your ethnic cuisines, trying Ethiopian, Peruvian, and Vietnamese food, and everything in between. Cuisine is a crucial part of what makes a country special. We will forgive those countries that have notoriously mediocre food (love you, London), but definitely look forward to our next trip to Rome. There’s nothing compared to having a real, authentic meal in the country you are visiting. For those of us who know that food is love, let’s live to eat while we travel. Bring an adventurous palate and tons of excitement for the delicious food coming your way.

Destination Recommendations: Too many to name, but for a sampling (pun intended), try Italy, Paris, Greece,  Thailand, India, Mexico, and Lebanon

Historical Traveler

If you like the feel of an old-world city, fear not. They still exist. Some just transport you into a different time. You can go as far back as Socrates’ orations near the Acropolis, see where national architecture meets colonial architecture, bask in old-world charm that has not faded, or visit ancient sites that still carry their power. You’ll forget about the 21st Century—that is, until you see the next McDonalds or cell phone. Luxor, Rome, and Athens’  ancient legacies will blow you away, and the way that other cities have preserved their former eras in this changing world is astonishing. 

Recommended Destinations: Rome, Athens, Buenos Aires, Luxor, Jerusalem, Budapest, Dubrovnik, Lisbon

Looking to cure the travel bug? Check out Contiki for info on tours designed especially for young people!

Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.