Roundup: Snapette Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The summer internship search is in full swing–whether you’re still sending out apps, interviewing, or buying your work wardrobe, you’ve definitely started thinking about what you’re doing this summer. Maybe you have no idea what you’re doing quite yet, but you know that you’ve got to do something. It’s common knowledge that college, at least in America, doesn’t exactly prepare you for the workforce. Many people older than myself (I would say “adults,” but hey, I think I’m an adult, too) tell me that college teaches you how to learn. I believe that I will be a more knowledgeable person by the end of these four years, but I also feel that my endless hours of studying and stress will be, quite frankly, rather useless when I walk into an office, onto a construction site, or wherever I may be on my first day of work.

This is where internships take the rein. They provide the average college student with a taste of the “real world,” so to speak, by totally immersing them in (usually the grunt work of) some industry. Some students feel pressured to get an internship to give a face lift to their resume while others are internally motivated to gain the experience in a certain field. Without a doubt, those who enjoy their internships are almost always in the latter of the two categories.

First semester, getting used to college was a full time job.  I decided that for second semester I wanted to find a creative outlet to balance out my workload so I applied to work at the fashion mobile app, Snapette.

As a business development and marketing intern, I learn a lot about the application of certain business skills as well as about my own strengths and weaknesses. Being the first time I have worked for a startup, this experience has been extremely unique and rewarding in way I never imagined.

The setup at the Snapette workspace

I personally feel more comfortable in the work environment than in the school environment. At Snapette, I am given a lot of both guidance and freedom. For instance, I am told the aspects of a project to focus on: the specific audience or the message that is being sent, but I am not told exactly how I must design it. That part is up to me.

I also feel that I am more receptive to improve my work because it in turn means that I can improve myself. For example, the Director of Business Development practiced mock phone calls with me and offered specific, meaningful suggestions. Through this personal practice, she helped me recognize how my word choice affects the messages I’m trying to communicate.  I also am able to discuss my ideas about projects with the Marketing Manager who helps me organize my thoughts to tailor to our different partners. This face-to-face communication makes me aware of seemingly small details, which cumulatively make up who I am as a person. I easily and readily retain their advice because I feel that doing so helps me hone my strengths and weaknesses.

Another aspect of the workplace that I enjoy is that there are no grades. I like that, rather than an A or an F, I am given personal feedback and motivation to progress. The company has a vested interest in me, which makes them more likely to help me than some professor who gets paid regardless of how I do in his or her class.

Co-founders of Snapette, Jinhee (left) and Sarah (right)

Finally, I want to note that I am having amazing new learning experiences at Snapette. I never thought I’d be exposed to all of these aspects of business through an internship. The internal transparency that my bosses have in conducting Snapette’s operations benefits me as a prospective businesswoman.

If you are looking to explore a certain industry or pimp out your resume, I suggest using your school’s career service office or reaching out to a contact you have in that industry. If you are looking for a great fashion app, I suggest downloading Snapette! Best of luck to everyone in the internship/job search!

Photo credit:

Audrey Magazine 

Leslie is a currently a freshman at Columbia University's Engineering School. She became interested in fashion and beauty after watching some YouTube videos on these subjects. Now interning at an amazingly fantastic mobile fashion app company in NYC, Leslie is trying to find what aspect of the industry she enjoys most.