Alma Matters: Q&A with Columbia’s Original Goddess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Alma Mater/Athena/Athene

College/Year: Claiming the steps since 1904

Major: Being a Goddess

Minor: Posing for Selfies Alma’s Campus

Hanging with Alma After Hours

How does it feel being the center of attention on campus?

AM: It’s v awesome and since I am the goddess of the Blue Ivy, I basically feel like Beyonce.

Do you ever get tired of people climbing on you and sitting on your lap?

AM: I mean I love being in so many people’s Insta pics, but it does get a little annoying sometimes… especially during Bacchanal when people step all over my cloak and invade my personal space.

So if you were had the ability to not be at Bacchanal, would you skip it?

AM: No way! Even though there’s always this big annoying white tent blocking my view, it’s the one day of the year I get to turn up with everyone. I never get invited to Carman or EC parties so Bacchanal is really important to me. And I was featured on the Bacchanal shirt last year.

Alma at BacchanalWhat’s that book on your lap?

AM: I don’t know, I just look at Butler all day.

Do you get really cold in the winter?

AM: My clock is Uniqlo heat tech ;)

How do you feel about the snowball fights?

AM: Ugh.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Alma ~chillin~ on the steps

What about people always searching for the owl on you?

AM: I absolutely love that freshmen rush to look for it during NSOP. They all think I’m fabulous and that I radiate all this wisdom (and I mean I am and I do) but little do they know that the formula for becoming valedictorian includes a lot of things I have no control over, like how many Insomnia cookies you eat per semester, how many times you get CAVA’d, number of hours you spend in Butler, whether or not you’ve ever been in the tunnels, etc.

If you could give one piece of advice to Columbia students, what would it be?

AM: You’re all truly amazing people and should keep up the hard work. Also, keep your voices down when you’re talking about your wild night at Cannons and Mel’s on the steps… You wouldn’t believe the shit I’ve heard. You know you love me. XOXO, Alma.

Sophomore Film Studies and Business Management Columbia College Hometown: Washington D.C.