Transitioning from Winter to Spring: Chicago-style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Spring in Chicago means it’s still cold but with the mildly warm weather we’ve been experiencing lately, it’s hard not to notice that everyone’s busting out “springier” clothes (we’re loving brightly colored denim, pretty chiffons and platform sandals!). Even though it’s not quite March yet, we’ve already caught spring fever. It might be a bit premature for Chicago, but even a couple months of winter have us pining for spring. Here are a few easy ways to start transitioning without putting your winter clothes away just yet! 

Beauty – Changing your beauty routine can help you get in the mood for a new season, whether it’s switching out your winter rotation of brown and navy for pretty pastels and chic corals, like Essie’s latest collection, to ditching ultra-moisturizing non-scented lotions for a lighter (and fresher smelling) daily moisturizer with SPF. 

Music – It’s time to delete your Bon Iver playlist for brighter pop melodies, like Neon Indian, that’ll keep you grooving well into spring. We also can’t stop listening to M.I.A’s newest single “Bad Girls” which we think will be every collegiette’s anthem going into spring! 

Go outside (when you can!) – The best way to cope with the last few weeks of cold weather is to just enjoy as much sun as you can with the comforting thought that spring is just a few weeks away. The Chicago Flower and Garden Show at Navy Pier is one of our favorite ways to feel like it’s truly spring again, even if it’s still winter temps outside. It’ll feel so good once it actually gets here! 

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.