This is NOT the Worst Black History Month Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

I know you’re probably looking at my title like I am crazy, but I have a point to make! 

Yes, we may have lost some greats like: Whitney Houston, Don Cornelius, and Etta James all in the span of a few weeks, and I am still so sad about it; but I think this gives us more of a reason to celebrate the people we still have making history. 

I remember when I first heard about Whitney Houston this past weekend. I didn’t believe it at first, because I heard it via Twitter, and you know how Twitter likes to kill people. So, I looked on the New York Times website, and there was the headline saying she was dead – I couldn’t believe it. I just saw a picture of her on Wendy Williams looking fine, and she was still young. This goes to show that you definitely don’t know when you will lose someone. 

So, I say for this Black History Month we should appreciate the people we still have right now that are making history, or have made history.

For instance, Tia Norfleet, who is trying to become the first African-American female NASCAR driver, and she is just 24 years old.

Then there is someone we all know, Tyra Banks. Sometimes I forget about all the things she’s accomplished. She modeled when she was in high school, she was the first African-American model to appear on the covers of GQ Magazine and The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, she was one of the original Victoria Secret Angels, she’s acted, she’s an author, she’s started a camp for young girls called T-Zone, and she’s probably done so much more that I don’t know about. 

There are plenty of other African-Americans who have made history or are making history like Tyra and Tia, and we need to appreciate them even more while we still have them. 

photo credit: nytimes.com 

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.