This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

The sight of a person at a DJ booth with a set of massive headphones and a laptop light illuminating their face is a sight many college students are used to seeing at parties or bars. Electronic music has taken over our generation by storm.  There is no question that many tech-savvy young people are trying to get in on this ever-so-new genre.  

One of those people is sophomore Andrew Peron.  He uses his tech-savvy ways to make organic, fun and up-beat music.  After fourteen months of exploring electronic music, he has not only created his own alias, “DJ Eep,” but has also created a Soundcloud account with two pages worth of tracks you can listen to for free.

“I don’t consider my music a specific genre. It is whatever I feel like at the time. Really, what’s in a name?” he says when speaking about his “genre” of music.

His music became even more noteworthy after one of his tracks landed on the free music playlist site, Fratmusic.com.

“It was surreal when people started congratulating me,” he says. “I just couldn’t get over the fact that a.) people heard my music and b.) they actually enjoyed it. It’s a very self-validating thing.” 

His eclectic taste in music keeps his inspiration for his own music alive. 

“I love all music. The other day Frank Sinatra came on my iPod. I said, ‘Oh I haven’t heard this in a while!’ and enjoyed listening to it!”

Andrew hails all the way from Austin, Texas and is a public relations major with a minor in journalism.  He spent a year in New York at St. John’s University before he eventually realized that it wasn’t the place for him to pursue a degree.  He heard about Columbia from a friend and when he researched the beautiful campus we dwell on called “Chicago,” he became “enamored with it.”

His future with music is one to be on the lookout for.

“Music is definitely more than just a hobby, but I do need to remember my priorities such as school and work.  Building a body of work is a slow process but eventually something big will happen. I want to find my own signature sound and make it special.”

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.