Managing Pre-Final Exams Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

It’s the end of the semester which means stress has begun to take a toll on most college students with final exams approaching. Whether you’re balancing classes, a job, a relationship, an internship or all of the above, preparing for final exams can amplify the amount of pressure to your daily life.  But don’t begin to pull your hair out just yet; there are ways to relieve stress, which will allow you to have a successful end to your semester. 

Prioritize
Work before play. Create a time management system that will help you focus on what is most important. Prioritizing will allow you to develop a lucid objective to achieve your goal, by depicting what is worth the time and what isn’t. Take the time out to make a list of your goals; you’ll be surprised to find consistency and better results. 

Maintain healthy habits
Eating healthy and getting enough rest is essential.  Most college lifestyles include fast-food, junk food and inadequate sleeping habits which can lead to excessive weight gain and a lack of energy. Eating at least 5 small portion meals and getting no less than 7 hours of sleep will allow your body to feel rejuvenated and satisfied.

Develop coping mechanisms
Dealing with stress can be time consuming as well as overwhelming. Don’t get in the habit of suppressing problems with alcohol or illegal substances. Do it the healthy way by exercising, meditating or acquiring some breathing techniques. Furthermore, find a healthy solution to help you find balance and incorporate it into your routine.

Be prepared
Preparation can make your final exams a piece of cake. Be sure to complete all assignments and projects in a timely manner. Take advantage of any opportunity to study as much as possible to alleviate stress on the day of the final exam. Don’t procrastinate; get a head start on your studies and you’ll have a better chance of acing your exams. 

Hopefully these tips will make your last weeks of the semester less stressful and more enjoyable!

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.