High Schools Should Permit Students to Leave for Lunch with Rules in Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

High school years are far behind, but the memories can remain fresh in the mind—attending pep rallies, obeying strict rules, waking up at the crack of dawn, catching the bus, not being able to text in class, getting detentions and, more specifically, eating the awful cafeteria food served during lunch hours.

A majority of high schools serve and offer various meals each day during the academic school year, and some high schools even have monthly calendars for what they plan to serve so students know ahead of time and have the option to bring a packed lunch or buy lunch. Typical prices for lunches can range from $2 to $3, according to an article on MSNBC.com, titled “High costs land on school cafeteria,” and school lunch prices have continued to increase each year by about 50 cents.

When I first started buying lunch in sixth grade, meals cost $1.50 and comprised milk, a main dish, a hot side dish, a cold side dish and dessert. By the time I was a senior, it cost $2.25, which is a lot considering the quality of the food.

High school cafeteria food’s safety and health issues are a completely different topic, but what happens to students who forget to pack their lunch, forget to bring money to buy lunch or don’t want to spend money on mediocre food? Some high schools let juniors and seniors with transportation leave for lunch and have rules in place for those students to return before the set lunch period is over. Other schools completely forbid it. Twinsburg High School, in Twinsburg, Ohio, was one of the schools that didn’t let students leave if they weren’t in the mood for what was served on a specific day, but that certainly didn’t stop many of my peers—and myself—from sneaking out and leaving.

Instead of wasting hard-earned money from a part-time job after school, why not spend it on food that can be enjoyed? Many high school faculty and staff at Arnold and Mosley High Schools, in Panama City Beach, Fla., argue if students were to leave campus for lunch, what would stop them from not returning at all and skipping classes for the rest of the day? An article from WJHG.com, by Kristina Hamilton, titled “BayCounty’s new off-campus lunch policy went into effect,” said students were not allowed to participate in off-campus lunches because of “dangerous situations” that could happen on the road.

Other schools, like Legacy High School, in Mansfield, Texas, argue while students are in school, they are the school’s responsibility. If anything happens to them, the school would be held accountable. But an article from The Rider, Legacy’s newspaper editorial board, titled “Off Campus Lunch is Fair and Should be Allowed,” said “students’ safety is their own responsibility, and should be treated as such.”

High schools that don’t believe in or permit students to leave during lunch hours should consider the different options available that could make the system successful. Having a sign-in and sign-out sheet or some type of waiver, on which students could sign out when they leave and then sign back in when they return, could be one solution. If students are late returning from lunch or don’t return at all, then proper disciplinary action can be taken. Having some type of parking lot-patrol for juniors and seniors with cars and checking their spot numbers and tags could also be a beneficial way to keep track of students who leave for lunch. There would need to be some type of order and structure for this to be efficient, and of course it couldn’t happen without organization.

There are other arguments that off-campus food, such as Taco Bell, McDonald’s and Wendy’s, is unhealthier than cafeteria food, and these types of places are responsible for student obesity and weight problems. But it is a school’s job to ensure the safety and proper education of its student body. That’s what physical education and gym classes are for.

Students must realize the option to leave for lunch is an earned privilege, and it should not be taken advantage of. They must also acknowledge this right can be evoked if and when it is not adhered to. It’s something to consider, however, for those few mature, responsible students who can make it back to classes on time. It’s all about options and choices, and taking away students’ choices only then gives them a reason to rebel. After all, the way to a better education is with a full and satisfied stomach—even if it’s not always the healthiest choice.

Jackson is a senior magazine journalism major at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Jackson transferred to Columbia during his sophomore year and considers Chicago to be second home. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia, Jackson also works as the copy chief for The Columbia Chronicle, Columbia's student-run newspaper, and at Echo, Columbia's student-run magazine, as the fact checking/copy chief and online editor. Jackson especially loves writing about the LGBTQ community and hopes to make it one of his specialities sometime in the future. While being a big believer in karma, Jackson always tries to surround himself with positive energy and positive people. A few of Jackson's favorite things: RuPaul's Drag Race, Family Guy, lemon-flavored Arizona iced tea and Chipotle.