Don’t Hold It Against Britney For Her Latest Music Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Britney Spears is back in the spotlight again, and people (and the media) are talking about her latest video “Hold It Against Me.” Now don’t get me wrong, I love me some Britney, but I was expecting so much more from this video. When I first heard the song on the radio, I fell in love! I was so excited to hear some new music from her, especially because her last couple tries didn’t go so well, at least in my opinion anyway.

I couldn’t figure out the video’s storyline or why she was floating in some high tech computer room in a big poofie wedding dress. It only started to become interesting when neon-colored paint starting bursting from her fingertips and splattered all across her dress and the room she was in. The fight scene she had with who I’m guessing was some sort of evil twin was hilarious, too. I still have no clue what that was all about. The dance scene toward the end was pretty mediocre, and it seemed like the backup dancers were outshining her.

I don’t know what happened to Britney since she had her two children (if she’s just gotten lazy because the soccer mom part is kicking in or maybe she doesn’t care anymore), but this video reminded of her horrendous 2007 MTV Video Music Awards performance. I was expecting something more along the lines of her “If You Seek Amy” video. Now that was a fantastic comeback!

Jackson is a senior magazine journalism major at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Jackson transferred to Columbia during his sophomore year and considers Chicago to be second home. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia, Jackson also works as the copy chief for The Columbia Chronicle, Columbia's student-run newspaper, and at Echo, Columbia's student-run magazine, as the fact checking/copy chief and online editor. Jackson especially loves writing about the LGBTQ community and hopes to make it one of his specialities sometime in the future. While being a big believer in karma, Jackson always tries to surround himself with positive energy and positive people. A few of Jackson's favorite things: RuPaul's Drag Race, Family Guy, lemon-flavored Arizona iced tea and Chipotle.