Bye-Bye Spring Break, Hello Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

I’ve been counting down the days until graduation since the spring 2011 semester began in January. It’s been rough and it’s been extremely busy, but we have seven more weeks go! I was more than excited for spring break last week and even more happy that I was going to be reunited with my best friend, godson and family back home. It was going to be a nice long mini vacation away from the stress of classes and work.

My best friend and I decided to take a road trip back to our hometown in Twinsburg, Ohio. She lives out of state in Iowa and was going to swing by and come pick me up in Chicago, spend the night at my place and then we would both drive back to Ohio the next day. It was so wonderful to be reunited with her and my godson. We hadn’t seen each other in about two months, but we’ve been best friends for about six years now, and it always seems like we just saw each other yesterday. I love it! That’s how you know you’re best friends with someone!

When we finally made it back to my house, we were greeted by my mom, dad, younger brother and cat (of course, haha!) They absolutely loved her son, and it was just fantastic to spend time with everybody and catch up with all my loved ones. The week went by so fast, I couldn’t believe we were already packing our things and getting ready to head back to Chicago and Iowa. They’re all coming to my graduation in May, though, and I couldn’t ask for a better graduation present! It’s going to be one of the best days ever and one of the most special and meaningful to me, and I can’t wait!

Jackson is a senior magazine journalism major at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Jackson transferred to Columbia during his sophomore year and considers Chicago to be second home. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia, Jackson also works as the copy chief for The Columbia Chronicle, Columbia's student-run newspaper, and at Echo, Columbia's student-run magazine, as the fact checking/copy chief and online editor. Jackson especially loves writing about the LGBTQ community and hopes to make it one of his specialities sometime in the future. While being a big believer in karma, Jackson always tries to surround himself with positive energy and positive people. A few of Jackson's favorite things: RuPaul's Drag Race, Family Guy, lemon-flavored Arizona iced tea and Chipotle.