6 Songs That’ll Help You Get Through Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Now that the Oscars are over, it’s time to face reality. With a barrage of exams, papers and projects due in the upcoming weeks, the only way we know how to cope with the onslaught of extra stress and less sleep is through music. Whether you’re feeling lethargic or restless, here are some tunes that’ll (hopefully) make midterms a little more tolerable. 

If you’re feeling tired…
Despite the title of this song, the remixed version of Sleepyhead by Passion Pit (Daze Remix) is enough to keep us going through our three-hour night classes. Why did we think a 6:30 p.m. science lab was a good idea, again?   

If you’re feeling emotional…
If you’re feeling like you want to scream, let Florence Welch and Benny Benassi drown everything else out with a remixed version of an oldie but goodie, Florence + the Machine’s Shake It Out. We won’t judge if you want to belt along with Welch. 

If you’re feeling anxious…
If you’ve just spent all night cramming for a 9 a.m. exam, dump the notecards and turn on Intro by the XX. A professor once told me that if you don’t know the material by now, you probably won’t learn it in five minutes. Instead, opt for a short chill song with no vocals to help ease your nerves and focus right before a test.

If you’re graduating soon…
Unlike the rest of us who can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, your light is just within reach and your anthem should be Breathe by Telepopmusik. Even though we can’t promise that it’ll get easier after you graduate, we’d like to pretend that nothing is as bad is this 12-page take home exam. 

If you’re pulling triple all-nighters…
After a week binging on Red Bull and listening to Skrillex just to stay awake, Holocene by Bon Iver will help bring you back into the light while singing you to sleep…for the next three days. 

If you just DGAF…
If you’ve already killed that massive 8-page paper and your inner-gangsta girl cries out for the recognition it deserves, this Australian chick Iggy Azalea’s My World is what you need to turn on right now while swinging your ponytail like you just don’t care.

What’s everyone else’s midterm playlist? We want to know! 

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.