This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

1.     Where are you from?

Sierra Leone.

2.     What made you want to come to Colby? What’s your favorite part about Colby?

I went to one of the United World College [UWC] schools in Singapore, and while I was there, Colby and other schools came and gave presentations. … What attracted me to Colby was mainly that they had great academics … access to research, smaller classes … but also, it was one of the few schools I knew people at.

For me, it’s been mostly relationships with professors and students. I’ve had a really great time with my professors [and] been to some of their houses, had a meal with them … it’s just been very good to have professors who care not only about what you do in class but about you in general. And, of course, students as well. It’s been great meeting people with different interests.

3.     Major?

I have a double major: economics and math.

4.     What are you involved in on campus?

SGA Treasurer takes a lot of my time, but I’m also part of the Multi-Faith Council group [and] the student investment club as well. And I play iPlay soccer. I love soccer.

5.     Can you explain what you do as SGA Treasurer?

As treasurer, you basically manage the students’ account. The students have about, say, $280K … and this money is for over 120 clubs [including SGA] and individuals. So they would submit funding [requests], then myself and a team of 10 people … sit down every Monday and decide how to distribute this money. [Another] part of the treasurer is that you’re also one of the executive members in SGA, so even though your primary goal is managing the budget and making sure the money is being used effectively, you’re also involved with the SGA in terms of planning SGA events and coming up with initiatives.

6.     What are some key initiatives you’ve been working on so far?

I set aside a separate fund for Jan Plan because I want there to be more events [over] Jan Plan. That was something I campaigned on and I wanted to pursue that. […] And also to be able to fund individual projects. That’s something we started this year [because] I feel like people have great ideas. […] There are three [other] things I came up with that the SGA as a whole is working toward. One was faculty and staff appreciation day. You might have seen that on the SGA bulletin. […] Another is the suggestion box that we’re trying to have right now. […] The third one, which hasn’t really done much yet, but I’m trying to revamp it, is the dining hall tables [Eating With Strangers]. It’s not yet where I want it to be. I want to have it based on themes. Like if you’re interested in talking about [a certain] theme, you could just go there [and] you’ve already established that connection.

7.     What’s your favorite place on campus?

Last year it used to be Lovejoy 400 [computer lab]. Now I would say the museum—the lobby, the chairs.

8.     What’s your favorite place in Waterville?

Selah Tea.

9.     Tell me a fun fact about yourself.

I’ve met [the Queen of England’s] husband. I have a picture with him, actually. I’ve also met the prince of Norway.

Photo Courtesy of Osman Bah

Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!