This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

This week, we interviewed Laura Jensen ’17, a New Hampshire native who immediately involved herself all around campus. As a co-president of the FemAlliance and a supporter of womens’ rights, we wanted the Colby community to be more aware of all of the awesome work that Laura does and appreciate her! Scroll down to learn more about our WCW!

Where are you from?

North Conway, NH

What’s your major?

I’m a double-major in Government and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.

What are you involved in on campus?

I’m a co-president of the Feminist Alliance, student fellow at the Goldfarb Center, sexual violence prevention peer educator, and staff writer for Change-Magazine.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken so far?

I’ve taken some amazing classes, but Intro to International Relations with Professor Hatch was by far the most challenging and rewarding course I’ve taken here.

What’s your favorite Colby memory?

This fall, I was able to see Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, and President Obama through different rallies for Mike Michaud. It was so much fun to experience that with other passionate Colby students. (I also got a selfie with Michelle. Best day ever.)

What’s it like having your sister on campus?

I love having Emilie on campus! We’re involved in very different aspects of campus life, so it’s still exciting when we see each other. She’s an amazing support person, and whether I see her on stage or for a random hug in the Spa, having her here is definitely one of the highlights of my Colby experience. I’ll miss her so much next year!

Tell our Her Campus readers about FemAlliance (your role, what the club does/the goal, etc.)

I’m a co-president of the Feminist Alliance with Kylie Van Buren and Grace DeNoon. The Feminist Alliance works to create a campus environment that makes life better for women of all backgrounds and identities while promoting social justice activism. Throughout the year, we work to shed light on different issues, such as body image, women in STEM programming, and sexual violence. Our biggest event of the year is Take Back the Night, an event that gives a safe space for survivors of sexual violence to share their stories.

What’s your favorite thing about being a leader of FemAlliance?

I love meeting other people who are so passionate about feminism. It’s especially fun to meet first-year students who already come to Colby with so much energy for the movement.

What’s something you like to do for fun?

Crush the patriarchy. (But I also really love to dance, bake cupcakes, and play guitar.)

Do you have any advice for incoming Colby first-years? What about Colby students who want to get more involved on campus, possibly with FemAlliance?

Learn as much as you can and take advantage of the opportunities that come your way, but remember to relax. Get enough sleep, take care of yourself, and take breaks when you need them. For students who want to join the Feminist Alliance, the club is always open to new members, whether you’re familiar with feminism or want to learn more!

Fun questions:

M&Ms or Reese’s Pieces? Reese’s Pieces

Dominoes or Papa John’s? Papa Johns

Hip-hop or country? Neither— I really love folk.

Spirit animal? Leslie Knope

Coffee or tea? Coffee

Celeb role model? Amy Poehler

Guilty pleasures? Watching way too much “Gilmore Girls.”

Would you rather be able to turn invisible or be able to fly? Why? Flying– I love traveling, so flying would be really helpful.

Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!