Gym Chronicles: Beach Games for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Here is my last entry for the year. I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. For the final gym blog I will leave you with fun beach games that you can substitute for your workout this summer!

Volleyball– Nothing like a fun competitive game with your friends! Bring a volleyball net and a ball and you’re ready to go. It may seem like a lot of equipment, but there are great carrying bags. Or, want to make some new friends? Poach someone else’s volley ball game! An hour of playing volleyball on the beach will burn 416 calories! What more? You’ll be getting a great tan at the same time.

Frisbee– Substitute the football for a Frisbee and you’ll run a little further and get your heart rate up a little more. Again you can work on your tan while you throw around the disc and you’ll burn about 190 calories an hour!

Kayaking– You and a friend can bring a kayak and paddle around the ocean. Don’t forget a life jacket and don’t go to far out if you’re not comfortable with the area. An hour of kayaking will burn 271 calories!

Snorkeling– If the water is clear and you want to explore the ocean blue, bring a snorkel (flippers optional) and check out what lies beneath the surface! You never know what you may find. Snorkeling/swimming leisurely for an hour will burn 327 calories an hour!

Surfing– Bored of your usual bikini? Try something different and opt for a day of surfing! It’s always fun to try something new. It requires a lot of strength, cardio, and hard work so be prepared for your less than normal relaxing day at the beach. Surfing for an hour will burn 163 calories an hour.

Pickle– An old school favorite to get you running around! If you don’t know how to play, you make 2 bases at least 20 yards apart. There is one person with a ball and everyone else needs to run from base to base without getting hit by the ball. If you’re on the base, you’re safe; if you’re in the middle of running from 1 base to another and you get hit you’re out. The last one standing wins! Pretty much, it’s a version of dodge ball. You’ll burn around 400 calories if you play for an hour.

Paddle Ball– This is probably my favorite beach game. You need at least 2 wooden paddles and a little rubber ball (they usualy come in sets and I would suggest that you get a few extra balls). You can play with a big group of people and try to keep the ball in the air as long as possible, or you can make it a little more competitive. I like to draw a rectangle that has 2 sides, one person plays in one box and the other person plays in another box (kind of like 4 square). You hit the ball back and forth, if it lands in your box and you don’t hit it, it’s your opponents point. If it lands in their box and they don’t hit it it’s your point. If someone hits it out of bounds, it’s their opponents point. You can make up any other rules you want about serving, spiking, ect. It’s a mix between 4-square and tennis. If you play for an hour you’ll burn around 300 calories.

Maybe you’re not a fan of games? You can always take a jog or walk down the beach or you can swim around in the ocean. Don’t forget to put on sunscreen, make a sand castle, and drink a lot of water! I hope everyone has an amazing summer and don’t forget to check out Her Campus Colby next semester!!

What are your favorite beach games?

Sources:
http://www.prohealth.com/weightloss/tools/exercise/calculator1_2.cfm -calories
Photo Sources:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/164604-beach-games-to-play-at-home/

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.