This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

If you’re in a sorority, it’s the time of year to be on your A game. It’s time to play up your nonchalance and disguise whatever sly, ruthless moves you have up your sleeve. It’s time to calculate your every step, because once you make it to the playing field, everyone and everything is fair game.

I’m not talking about booth, or carnival, or even finals week. I’m talking about formal, and no matter which house you’re in, we all have that same question, “Who am I going to take?” If you have a boyfriend, you’re set. All you need to worry about is the color of his tie (stay away from paisley). But if you’re not wifed up and you’re keeping things casual, the color of your date’s tie will be the farthest thing from your mind — you have a lot more options.  So what are they?  Let’s explore your options.

1. Your best non-sorority gal pal

This is a cop-out move. At CMU, sororities only have one or two date functions per semester. Don’t let one slip to the wayside. But then again, there are the benefits: you won’t have to wear heels, or find a hot dress, or account for how many of his friends are going, or worry about how to pose for pictures. It’s up to you if you want to make formal a formal or a girl’s night.

2. Your best guy friend

You two do everything together: Razzy, homework, gossiping. He’s your best girl friend with shorter hair and a game cube. If you bring him to formal, you are guaranteed to have a good time, just like if you bring your best girl friend. But be careful. Will this be his second or third date function of the year? Do all of your sisters already think you two are secretly in love? Sometimes it’s fun to shake it up, and he won’t mind if you leave him at home.

3. Blind date

A girl in your house has been talking up her boyfriend’s cute, single friend to your cute, single sisters for weeks. Either way, he’s finding a date to your formal. That date might as well be you. Who knows — he could be Mr. Right. Of course, there are the regular fears of being set up: what if he stands you up? What if you have nothing to talk about? What if he’s that guy you accidently tripped during Playfair and he has held this huge grudge ever since? These concerns are plausible, but look on the bright side — if all goes south, he’ll have a friend to hang out with and you’ll have your sisters.

4. Your celebrity crush

When CMU Crushes went viral, you were the one who wrote that paragraph detailing every crevice of his body. He is the first face you spot in a crowd, the first profile you stalk every time you open Facebook, the first person you look for when you enter a party. He probably has no idea what your name is, or even that you’re a student on this campus. But asking him will fix all of that. Even if he says no, at least he will know who you are, and will admire you for your courage. And there’s always that chance he will say yes.

5. The guy you’re hooking up with

Things are great. You’re having fun. He’s having fun. You’re taking it slow and simple, and neither of you are dying to put a ring or a label on it. Formal is where is becomes sticky, and the easiest way to decide if you should take him is by thinking outside the dynamic of your relationship. Don’t base your decision off whether he will think you’re trying to solidify things. Just ask yourself this: will you have fun if you take him? If you’ll have fun, he’ll have fun. If he says no, then he’s a jerk, and proceed to Option 6.

6. The guy you used to hook up with and while you do not know exactly where things went wrong, he is still so cute, and, let’s be real, how could he say no to you?

He will say no. And it will suck. Do not ask him. No matter who it is, take someone else, preferably someone who is nicer, and let’s be honest, more attractive. Not enough that it shows you tried too hard, but just enough that it will get underneath that jerk’s skin.

7. Solo

Who cares about a cute dress or impressing a cute guy? You’re going to this soiree for three reasons: to hang out with your sisters, bust a move on the dance floor, and eat all the food. Literally, all of it.

And there you have it. Scour the cut, brush your hair, and get out there. Good luck!

Photo credit:
http://weheartit.com/entry/582…

Hello! I am a sophomore at Carnegie Mellon University studying creative and professional writing. So far, Pittsburgh has been an adventure, and as a Philadelphia native, I love to explore new cities. I also enjoy reading (anything from Cosmo to the best seller on the New York Time's list), shopping and drinking coffee (they're more of an addiction) and spending time with my friends and family. In a few years, I hope to be in a European city working on an award winning screenplay, but grad-school would be fine too.
Laura Stiles is a Creative Writing, Professional Writing double major at Carnegie Mellon University who will be graduating in May 2014. In addition to being Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Carnegie Mellon chapter of HerCampus.com, she is Co-Prose Editor of The Oakland Review, Carnegie Mellon’s literary-arts journal, a manuscript reader for Carnegie Mellon University Press, and has copy-edited for Carnegie Mellon’s newspaper, The Tartan. She was also Communications and Arts Management Intern at The Hillman Center for Performing Arts in summer 2012, and is ecstatic to be studying abroad in Sheffield, England in spring 2013. In her free time, she enjoys singing along to music on long car rides, spontaneously kicking off her shoes to explore lakes and creeks, and curling up with a soft blanket and a captivating book. She was also recently pleasantly surprised to discover that she has a taste for sushi.