Traveling Near and Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl the idea of traveling to another country or going on trips with my family is something that excited me. I greatly appreciate that parents my thought that it was important for to me to experience different cultures and to see places that I had never seen before. Traveling is something that everyone should do because it helps you to understand how different societies think and live their everyday lives. I have never been more scared and uncomfortable than when I am walking through a new city or town but because of those experience I have gained more confidence in myself and have learned so much about the world that I live in.

Clemson offers a wide variety of study abroad programs and scholarships to go to place all over the world. If you can go abroad, even if it just for a week, I encourage to go and expand your horizons! But, if you cannot go abroad, you can start traveling by going to new cities that are close by. All though it seems like there is not much to do in Clemson, SC (especially since football season is over) there are so many towns and cities just waiting to be explored! Taking a day trip somewhere is the best way to start your traveling lifestyle and to learn more about the places that you live next to. Here are a few suggestions of some great cities to go explore!

1. Asheville, NC

This is the best city to go to for a day trip and for great food, music, and hippies. It is the perfect combinations of a big city in a small town. It is nestled in between the Blue Ridge mountains and is surrounded by great places for hiking and amazing scenic views

2. Charleston, SC

This is great place to go for a weekend trip where you can transported back to a time when SC was one of the most important states in our country, where a rainbow can be found on East Bay Street and the beach is only thirty minutes away!

3. Hendersonville, NC

This city is located an hour away from Asheville and from Clemson. This is the cutest small town to visit. Everyone knows each other and it has a lot of amazing locally run stores. This is a great place to go for the day or for dinner after a day of hiking.

4. Lake Keowee in Seneca, SC

Clemson definitely has the best of both worlds because we are on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains but also have Lake Hartwell right on our campus! There is another called Lake Keowee that is only 20- 30 minutes drive. It has, in my opinion, the best sunsets in south.

If you have the chance to go a little bit further, take that opportunity and go for it. The world has so many different cities/towns that you can explore, so I encourage you to get out of your comfort zone and go see the amazing places that the world has to offer!

I am sophomore marketing major who loves traveling, the outdoors and anything to do with food!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19