Poetry for your Reading Pleasure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
Poetry For Your Reading Pleasure

When balancing competing responsibilities and trying to maintain a social 

life in college, reading often falls onto the back burner of even the most avid readers 

list of things to do. If you do sometimes read for pleasure, you may have experienced 

that guilt or gnawing thought, “Hm, should I be reading my textbook instead?” The 

truth is NO, you shouldn’t only be reading your textbook! You deserve a bit of time 

to yourself to enjoy some leisure reading, whatever that entails for you. 

In my pursuit to read more for pleasure, I have come to realize how much I 

love poetry books. As much as I enjoy a good novel, it can sometimes take me a few 

months to finish one. Only having fifteen to thirty minutes a day can make for slow progress 

when trying to finish a book. However, a poem is usually short(ish), and capable of 

transporting you to a different place or mindset. A book of poetry is perfect for a 

quick read that does not require a time commitment to finish the story. You can read 

one poem a day and get your reading fix, or read a handful when you have some 

extra downtime. Here are two poets I have recently fallen head over heels for:

Lang Leav

Author of: Love & Other Misadventures, and Lullabies

Lang has an incredible talent for writing poems that are whimsical modern fairy 

tales. Her personal perspectives on love and life give evidence she has experienced 

many highs and lows in relationships and she writes about them in such a way you 

feel you could be reading a poem about yourself and your experiences. For those of 

you who use Tumblr, her witty posts and reposts are always a pleasure to look 

through at langleav.com

Tyler Knott Gregson

Author of: Chasers of The Light

I found Tyler by accident as I re-pinned one of his beautiful poems on pinterest. 

Tyler’s famous for his typewriter series; poems he writes using a typewriter on just 

about anything that is paper-like (receipts, cardboard, envelopes, napkins). His 

poems are bursts of thoughts that are relatable and cause you to reflect on life. If 

you follow him on twitter (@tylerknott) or tumblr (tylerknott.com) you can read his 

daily haiku’s on love. Each haiku uses the short 5-7-5 syllable poetry style to explore 

both nostalgic and romantic perspectives on love.

Former Clemson Student Affairs Graduate Student and Clemson House Graduate Community Director. San Juan bred, Atlanta raised me.