CU Water Drop Director Beckie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
Beckie Prince is the current director of CU Water Drop! She is a senior Marketing major with a Management minor graduating in December from Little Rock Arkansas.

1) What does CU Water Drop do?

CU Water Drop is a student led initiative that confidentially provides free water at parties and events where alcohol will be present. The ultimate goal of our project is to create a social norm in which non-alcoholic beverages are readily available at parties. We believe our program is going to make a difference because we recognize that telling students not to drink will never change the drinking culture. Instead, we let students make their own choices about alcohol consumption by providing a free alternative. 

2) Why was it started?

CUWD began in 2011 as a creative inquiry called “CU Taking Charge” that was searching for a solution to the amount of alcohol-related incidents involving Clemson students. In it’s 4th semester (Fall 2012), CU Taking Charge adopted the name CU Water Drop and began focusing solely on providing water to events, which serve alcohol, in hopes of changing the social norm at college parties. The idea was that, with water readily available at parties, students would have better access to an alternative to alcohol and the opportunity to drink in a healthier manner.  

3) How can you get involved in CU Water Drop?

Students can get involved in Water Drop through our Clemson website http://www.clemson.edu/administration/student-affairs/cu-water-drop/ you can search CU Water Drop on the Clemson website to find us as well. There is a form students can fill out to join the program. 

4) What kind of events can have water delivered?

We will provide free water to any event with alcohol hosted by a Clemson University student. We also provide water to bars in downtown Clemson. 
Any Clemson student can request water one of two ways. 
1. They can go to our page on the Clemson University website (http://www.clemson.edu/administration/student-affairs/cu-water-drop/) and request a drop there.
2. They can email cuwaterdrop@gmail.com and give us the contact’s name, phone number, the address where they would like the water dropped off (preferably the location of the party), an estimated number of attendees, and the date and time they would like the water dropped off. 

5) What is your favorite Clemson tradition?

Hands down my favorite Clemson tradition is watching the football team run down the hill on gameday! I’m a senior and I still get chills every time.

6) What made you get involved in this program?

Many members of CUWD were recruited by earlier members of the program, but I stumbled upon Water Drop my Junior year when I was interested in getting involved with a creative inquiry. I noticed Water Drop and thought it sounded interesting, so I signed up and started attending classes. I fell in love with the program very quickly and have been a director ever since!

Photos provided by Beckie
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!