Stephanee Germaine ’12: Vice-President/Co-Partner of DNA Marketing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

1. How did you first become involved with being a club promoter?

I first got involved in the club world when I met a promoter at my own 20th birthday party. He asked if I wanted to help him out with promoting to a college crowd and I agreed! I started promoting with him at a local club that has since closed down, called Mint in 2009. Then when a friend of mine, another Clark grad, Andres Lau, started a marketing company (DNA Marketing) he asked me to help him out and I of course agreed. I started helping him on the side, and soon enough I actually left the original company I was working to help Andres with running the guest lists and cover charges at the college parties he hosted. Now, almost 3 years later, I have moved up in the company to become the vice-president/co-partner of DNA marketing and help manage a small team of promoters with Andres to host two events per month at local Worcester clubs to get college kids out in the Worcester night life scene.

2. Which clubs do you promote?
Today we work with clubs, bars, and restaurants to host/market our events bi-monthly to college students. We now work with Holy Cross, WPI, Clark and hopefully soon Assumption. In the past we have worked with all different sorts of venues including Square One Sports Bar, Venue, Jose Murphys, Byblos, Boiler Room, Mint, Fusion, and Piccolos Italian Restaurant, and we hope to add more to this list this coming year!

3. What does being a club promoter entail?
Working for a marketing company entails overseeing the promotion and marketing of different events, coordinating the logistics of events with my co-partner and club owners, and making sure our crowds are happy and having a blast at all times! Prior to the events I compile guest lists based on the people my promoters have marketed the event to, and during the night of the event I work the door checking names off the guest list and taking cover charge money.

4. What’s your favorite thing about your job?
My absolute favorite thing about my job, and the reason why I am still doing this, is because I love seeing my clients and all partygoers having a good, safe, fun time! I love when everyone is enjoying themselves and letting loose! 

5. What is the hardest thing?
The hardest thing about marketing/promoting is remaining professional when the clientele you work with are your peers and/or close friends. Everyone always wants a deal or to get things for free, but to be fair you have to treat everyone the same and draw a line between personal matters and business related stuff.

6. What benefits do you get by being a club promoter?
The biggest benefit we get is networking and marketing our company with so many people from different schools, clubs, and organizations. In only three years we have made what I like to think of as a pretty reputable name for ourselves? 

7. What has been your favorite night at a club that you’ve promoted?
Hmmm…this is a tough one. I think it’s not just one night, but the parties in general that we don’t expect to have a huge turn out, but have lines wrapped around the building are always my favorite parties to promote! You know it’s an awesome night when it’s 1am and they have to shut the doors because we’ve hit capacity!

8. Do you have any advice for other collegiettes interested in getting involved with club promotion?
Club promotion, bartending, marketing, or any other job in the nightlife world is awesome. It’s a fun way to meet new friends and challenge yourself to get outside of your comfort zone. For people who like to go out and have fun, promoting is definitely the best job, because you get to do what you love! Promoting has opened so many doors for me and allowed me to learn so much about both the industry and myself.

Become a fan of DNA Marketing!

A native of California, Caitlin is now a junior at Clark University in Massachusetts studying Psychology and Communications. She is the advertising manager as well as a contributing writer for her university's newspaper, and is involved in various other clubs as well. In addition, she works as a lifeguard and swim instructor. In her free time she enjoys going to sushi and Starbucks with her friends, listening to John Mayer, and swimming.