Sarah Tajuddin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Sarah Tajuddin

Year: Class of 2014

Hometown and Your Favorite Thing About It:
Pittsburgh! I love the noise and lights of the city. It’s like you’re never truly alone.

Area of Study and Why You Chose It:
I study Biology because it’s the study of life, and there’s absolutely nothing more beautiful than that.

Favorite Book:
I can’t really say what my favorite book is, there are so many to choose from… But I’ll say Perks of Being a Wallflower. It’s gotten me through some tough times. (But Pride and Prejudice deserves an honorable mention for being an all-time go-to.)

Favorite Movie:
Tangled. Hands down. No competition. It always manages to put a smile on my face.

Favorite TV Show:
I don’t keep up with TV often, but I will always tune in for an SVU or How I Met Your Mother marathon. The Rachel Maddow Show and the Daily Show with Jon Stewart are family favorites, too.

Favorite Musician/Band:
It’s been consistently switching between The Format and The Hush Sound, even though they’re broken up and have moved on to newer collaborations. But Dia Frampton is also wonderful!

Favorite Food:
If you know me at all, I will eat sushi at any time of any day.

What are you up to outside of classes?
I’m captain of the dance team here at Chatham and the First Year Experience Living Learning Community Coordinator in Fickes. I was an Orientation Leader for two years and loved every minute of it. I love participating in BOTC and other campus activities that I can possibly get involved in. I absolutely love late night food runs and ice cream trips. The way I look at everything is—at least there’ll be a story to tell. (Also, I hope everyone’s registered to vote!)

Perfect Friday Night:
A perfect Friday night for me would be a dinner out with my family, and then regrouping and hanging out with my friends.

Favorite Thing About Fall:
It’s my birthday season! And my favorite season of the year. I love the not-too-cold, not-too-warm weather, the way the leaves change and fall dramatically, and the pumpkin everything everywhere.

What are you planning to be for Halloween?
Pocahontas or Esmerelda. Still deciding. Still struggling.

Favorite Quote:

“How beautiful is it to stay silent
When someone expects you to be enraged from them,
And how beautiful it is to laugh
When someone thinks you are going to shed tears.”
—Unknown

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”—Perks of Being a Wallflower

Dream Job:
I’ve always wanted to do Doctors without Borders or join the Peace Corps or do something immediately effective. That would be the ultimate goal—travel and do what I love most.

Favorite Thing About Being a Chatham Woman:
I love how diverse in personality this campus seems to be. I love the dynamic of the people and how well people synchronize. I love how differently opinionated girls can be and still be very good friends. I love that it’s a quiet bubble for studies, but the city bustles outside. I adore the people I’ve met and the things I’ve experienced and I wouldn’t trade the memories for anything. It’s been a load of trials and tribulations, but it’s made me the resilient and determined woman I am now.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.