Media & Social Change Conference: An Interview with Casey Deer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

HC Chatham Business Team Member Casey Deer presented at the Media & Social Change Conference in early April. 

She spoke about “Cyber-Bullying” with Jessica Garland, Seneca Harah, Paige Owens, and Moriah Rakas.

When we heard about the excellent presentation, we asked for an interview; read Casey’s answers below.

What was the focus of your presentation?

My topic for the Media and Social Change Conference was bullying.  My group and I decided to present on bullying through social media because it is a widespread issue in schools nationwide. 

Did you do your project as part of a course? If so, what did you enjoy most about the class?

I did my presentation as part of my Media and Society class.  The thing I enjoyed most was being able to raise awareness of bullying, and for others to help stop it, if he or she would see it happening. 

What did you learn from your research?

I learned that when an individual is bullied, he or she is also affected emotionally.  In our presentation, we gave examples of how a person being bullied can seek help in various ways.  We also gave information on how a bystander can help.  I made up an anonymous survey for the audience to complete, and an awareness board was made for the audience to sign their names on to help raise awareness and to help stop bullying.    

What was the whole experience of presenting at the conference like?

I really enjoyed the conference!  I believe it was very professional and educational.  I’m glad we chose the topic we did. 

Photo courtesy of Casey Deer (pictured on the right).

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.