Why A Second Tattoo Is A Bigger Deal Than A First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

We are all familiar with the stigma that attaches to inking our skin. People with tattoos are “rebels,” “stupid,” “immature,” and “will regret this decision later.”

Most parents obviously squirm at the idea of their child having ink embedded under their skin and making such a permanent decision since most adolescents can’t even decide if they want to make dinner or settle for a Cup Noodle and banana.

Another stigma accompanies tattoos: that once you get one, you’re bound to cover your entire body in them. This is not far from the truth. Many people work themselves up so much for their first tattoo that once they’ve accomplished it, they feel invincible. In other words, once you get your first done, it’s a lot less intimidating to think of getting another.

In this way, getting a second tattoo can be a bigger deal than getting a first. Once you get a second, you are making it even harder for yourself to resist the temptation of covering every nook and cranny of your body with beautiful artistic quotes and drawings. You’re taking a step towards Russell Brand and Justin Bieber and an equal step away from the good girls with the small, subtle tattoos on their ankles.

So think hard before you commit to a second tattoo.

If you’re sure that this something you want and that you’re not just running a tattoo confidence-high, then go for it!

But if you might be infected with adrenaline from your first experience, take another month or two to decide if you really want it. After all, if you get bored of the design in a month, you definitely won’t want it on your body for the rest of your life.