5 Essential Phone Accessories for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Here are some phone accessories that you may want to add to your online shopping cart ASAP:

Braided Lightning Charging Cord

Because those white phone charging cords are too mainstream (and expensive!).  These cables will not shred or break when you hold you hold your phone at an angle while using it when it’s charging.  On Amazon.com, you can find packs of 3 or more cords for under $15!

Silicone Card Holder

As a college student, there are few items you use more than your phone and student ID card.  It can be very stressful if you forget one of them, and students will often leave their dorm rooms with only their phones in hand.  To make sure you never get locked out of your dorm or are unable to get into events, you can get an adhesive cardholder that you can stick on the back of your phone case.  This way, your phone and ID card will always be together and if you pick up your phone without feeling the card in its place, you will immediately know you have to find it before leaving your room.  This can also eliminate the need to bring a wallet or lanyard, and you won’t have to worry about where to put your cards if you don’t have any pockets.

Easy Macro

Essentially just a rubber band with a lens, this product slips onto all smartphones with or without a case and takes great macro pictures.  It sells for just $15 on Amazon.com, making it a cheaper and compact alternative to the more popular Olloclip lenses.  One can only imagine the cool Instagram posts and Snapchat stories.

Tempered Glass Privacy Screen Protector

If you don’t want your table partner Snoopy Sara to be able to read your texts complaining about her or don’t want anyone to be able to see you Facebook-stalking the guy you met at a party last weekend, this could be the solution to all your problems.  This screen protector will make the your screen look dark if viewed from a side angle, and only the person looking straight at the screen will be able to your phone activity.  The glass also really protects your phone, which is good because replacing the screen can be expensive.

Portable Phone Charger

AKA your new best friend.  If you don’t already have one of these, you probably should.  They fit right in your pocket, and they’re great if you go out on an all-day shopping excursion or if you’re somewhere without outlets, like on a hike or on a bus.  You never know when you’ll need the extra battery life (or maybe you always need it like I do). Some portable chargers will give you a few full charges before needing to be plugged in and charged itself, while others will give you only give you one full charge.  There are many different brands to choose from and make great gifts!