Campus Celebrity: Alyssa Townsend ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

The leaves won’t be the only things falling once you read this week’s Campus Celebrity. Oh, and don’t mind the cheesy puns – this UNC beauty loves them! A senior journalism major, Alyssa Townsend is one-part sweetheart, one-part Superwoman. When she’s not repping that “Do or Die,” you can catch her blitzing around campus, a smile and a speciality Starbucks Trenta in tow*.  

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

AT: Well, I am the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council. I’m publicity chair for the Black Student Movement, and I hold various positions within the Theta Pi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha.

I’m just kind of involved in a lot of pockets too that I don’t really have titles for. With Carolina United, I was a counselor at the beginning of the year, so I definitely plan on helping to pub and just get the word out for people to participate in that. Also, [with] Project Uplift, I was a counselor over the summer, so I’ll be involved with MSRC [Minority Student Recruitment Committee] and some volunteering throughout the year.

I’m also in Order of Omega and Ebony Readers/Onyx Theatre (EROT). I’m taking a sabbatical this semester but I’m still involved and I was a performer and publicity chair for that. I was also involved with Unique Heels and Celebration of Black Womanhood  (CBW) here and there. The list just kind of goes on.

HC: So, a little bit of everything, it seems. Which extracurricular involvements have proven to be the most meaningful or conducive to your growth here at Carolina?

AT: I would have to say it’s a tie between Theta Pi and working at the New Student and Carolina Parent Program (NSCPP). So, my sophomore through junior year, I was a Tar Heel Beginnings co-chair, which basically means I was in charge of Week of Welcome and the Tar Heel Beginnings fall events with my co-chairs. Then, this past summer, I was a project coordinator in their office. Just the speaking to the staff alone, they are such phenomenal individuals. I love the vibe of the office. They’re funny, you can talk to them about real stuff and just the point of my undergrad career that I started working there, they just really helped facilitate my growth and development – not only personally, but as a professional as well.

Then, with Theta Pi, I’ve just learned so, so much through those women. You know, being able to do service and have impacts that way and just the sisterhood – just being able to call on those ladies when you’re having a bad day or a rough time –  it’s integral.

HC: And how do you practice self-care during the little alone time you have?

AT: If I’m feeling overwhelmed or in my feelings or in my head thinking about life, I’ll write – just, like, write down a few lines in my phone in my notes. I probably have, like, 300 notes.

HC: If you had to choose, what would say are some of your favorite memories here?

AT: I would have to say, performing with Theta Pi – I’ll make that a broad one –  and Carolina United and just meeting the priceless gems here. You know, when you meet someone and have that in-depth conversation with that person that you usually see but never talk to… those would probably be some of my favorite times.

HC: And how do you want to leave your “Heelprint” here at UNC?

AT: There are two ways and I’m kind of having a hard time balancing between the two. One is changing the culture here for black women and really bringing us together more. That’s why I was as heavily involved as I was in CBW. I felt like I could leave that in good hands to move on to my second way of leaving my “Heelprint” at Carolina, which is just Greek life. Specifically, within the NPHC, I just don’t think it has been what it should be. As far as Greek unity, I just really want to help make the Greek community as a whole – all four councils – a lot more cohesive … so we can maximize the impact that we’re trying to have on the campus community and the surrounding community.  

HC: What’s your dream job once you graduate?

AT: My dream “I-wish” job is to be a stunt driver. My dream career would probably be – I used to say I wanted to work for Disney, but I wouldn’t mind working for Disney or Google or “So You Think You Can Dance” because that’s, like, my favorite TV show and I would love to somehow be involved in the production of that.

HC: Why those specific companies?

AT: They just seem so relaxed. Atmospheres like that really breed innovation and just allow your creativity to flourish, which is something that is really, really important to me. I want to be able to think freely, to be as creatively free as I want because I think that’s what drives success.

HC: Do you have a particular quote or attitude that you live by?

AT: It’s kind of long. “From the ashes a fire shall be woken, / A light from the shadows shall spring; / Renewed shall be blade that was broken, / The crownless again shall be (queen).” The original quote was ‘king’, but you know, it’s all about the queens. And that’s from J.R.R. Tolkien.

HC: Anything else readers should know?

AT: I believe that the pathway to world peace is paved with chocolate chip cookies.

*Note: Alyssa always orders a Starbucks Trenta with three-quarters green tea and one-quarter Tazo Passion Tea with eight Splendas, no water and light ice. You’re welcome.  

Jaleesa Jones

Chapel Hill

Jaleesa Jones is a senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is a communication studies major with double minors in journalism and screenwriting. She is president and co-campus correspondent of the UNC chapter of Her Campus, a Collegiate Correspondent for USA TODAY and a member of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, Carolina Association of Black Journalists, National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists. Jaleesa loves covering lifestyle, race, feminism and the arts. In her spare time, she enjoys confusing her roommate with alternating sessions of Juicy J and Taylor Swift, imagining her Ramen was pasta, and binge-watching movies - because TV series are so '90s.