Unveiling the Underrated: Artists You Need to Know!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Sometimes, as humans who make mistakes, we miss the new artist bandwagon when we skip a new song on Pandora. We miss out on an angelic singing voice or dope rapper when we judge a new artist by their album cover or current hype. But don’t worry! That’s what I’m here for! It’s my sworn duty to listen to every new song (at least once) to not only act as the music guru, but to pass on a blessing in the form of music that could become someone’s new favorite artist! We know Beyonce and Bruno, but here are some artists that are still being slept on, yet definitely deserve a listen. (Even if you’re afraid to stray away from your favorite playlist!) 

1. Kirby Lauryen

What a voice! Kirby Lauryen has managed to make it on my “favorites” list with her single “Loved By You.” Signed to Roc Nation, she’s written “Die With You” by Beyonce, and “FourFiveSeconds” by Rihanna. The saddest thing is finding an artist you love, but they literally have ONE SONG. This beautiful song is literally the only song I can find by her so far. Tragic.

2. Cashmere Cat

He’s the only electronic DJ I can honestly tolerate and he makes some pretty good music. He pairs his dope beats with the voices of popular artists of today, and his latest work 9 features some well-known names. “Trust Nobody” and “Plz Don’t Go” are a few of my faves. Ty Dolla $ign had me in my feelings and hating someone I didn’t even date through his harsh words in “Infinite Stripes.”

3. SZA

I first got a taste of SZA on Wale’s “The Need to Know“. Then, Rihanna’s “Consideration,” so when her new single “Love Galore” featuring Travis Scott released, I fell in love. Then, the music video released and I feel even deeper in love. She’s a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice. Her music is definitely worth a listen and she’s officially one of MY faves.

4. NAO

British native NAO has such a unique voice I can’t even take it. Her electronic soul feeling has changed the game, and she’s exposed me to a new sound of music. Her songs “Zillionaire” and “Bad Blood” are my favorites.

5. Ari Lennox

Signed to J. Cole’s music label, Dreamville Records, Ari Lennox has been equipped with the tools to make an impact in the music industry. Her album, Pho, was released in late 2016. It features my favorite song “Night Drive.”

6. Johnny Rain

Man, what can I say? Voice of an angel with words from a tender man. “Harveston Lake” will be on repeat with you in your feelings for hours, while “Good Day, USA!” opens your eyes about real America. His four albums and EP will keep you satisfied for the time being.

7. Derin Falana

I stumbled across this gentleman in my “New Music” playlist, and I can’t explain how glad I am that I did. His music is something you can vibe to like no other through his chill beats and soothing voice. “These Days” is currently my favorite song because of the lyrics and the music, but every single one of his songs are growing on me.

8. Sabrina Claudio

If you’re looking for beautifully sung whimsical love songs that WON’T bore you, Sabrina Claudio is the woman to listen to. Her R&B sound mixed with powerful lyrics connected me to her songs in ways that very few artists can. “Unravel Me,” “Tell Me (Acoustic),” and “Confidently Lost,” are my favorites.

9. Sinead Harnett

Sinead Harnett’s single “If You Let Me” has been on repeat for me for many months now. Her voice is undeniably smooth, yet has raspy moments, creating a sound that exhibits emotion matched with her relevant lyrics. Her acoustic and home versions of this song are amazing, showing that this London native has the pipes without all the fancy studio equipment. She also has a new single out called “Still Miss You,” so check her out!

Anyone I miss? Comment below to help a sis out!

Hi! I'm Taelor Dorsey, a senior Early Childhood Education major with a minor in art from Cleveland, Ohio.