Things I Wish Someone Told Me Before Going Away to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Going away to college and being out on your own is just about every kids dream growing up. The idea of finally being independent, getting to make your own decisions and follow your dreams are so exciting; however, college can get overwhelming very fast. My first year of college was very insane and at times I felt extremely unprepared. The reality is that so many students going into college feel this way, so here is a list of things I wish someone told me before going away to college.

1.It’s never too late

Sometimes you’ll feel like it’s too late to get involved on campus or make friends, but college is all about putting yourself out there. Each semester brings a new opportunity for you to get involved and meet new people. If you did not get involved as much as you would’ve liked during the first semester you have the opportunity to try again during the next one.

2.Save money

My freshman year I went out just about every week to all of the local restaurants around campus and spent an unnecessary amount of money on things I did not need, save your money and use your meal plan because you never know when you’ll need some extra cash.

3. Prioritize

School comes first. You don’t want to fall behind in class because you went to every single party over the weekend, there will always be more parties to attend so make sure you have your priorities in check.

4.Go to class

I know there will be days where you’re just not in the mood to go to class, remember you’re paying for your education so don’t waste your money by skipping classes. If you’re not a morning person don’t schedule early classes you know you won’t get up for, work with your academic advisor to create a schedule that’s perfect for you.

5.Time management

Always make sure you keep up with assignments and making sure you’re always on time for class. A lot of professors will take attendance and mark you absent for showing up a few minutes late.

6. Get to know your roommate

It’s crucial that you discuss cleaning schedules and any arrangements you might need to make with your roommate, you do not want to be the only one sharing toilet paper and having to study in the library for a big test because your roommate decided to invite some friends over.

7. Time will fly by

Your first semester will go by really fast, make sure you enjoy every moment.

8. Sit in the front row 

In high school I avoided the seats in the front of the classroom at all costs, now that I’m in college I find myself gravitating towards the seats in the front and honestly sitting in the front of the classroom will help you keep focus.

9.Have fun

Although at times college can be very stressful it’s okay to take a break every now and then and enjoy yourself because it’ll be over before you know it.

Photo credits: ThumbnailBEB, Venterprises, Girlshope, Thoughtco Giphy,

Hi! I'm Ceriah Richard. I'm a Mass Media Arts major at The Illustrious Clark Atlanta university from Cincinnati, Ohio.