This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

I’m always looking for ways to grow my hair out without going with the no heat challenge or resulting to cutting all of my hair off. Many people want to grow their hair out but don’t necessarily have the time to take of their hair without using heat. Here are a few ways to promote hair growth and follicle stimulation while straying away from making drastic changes to your overall look..

1. Keep your ends trimmed. Trim dead ends every 6 to 8 weeks for damaged hair and every 8 to 12 weeks for healthier hair.

2. EAT HEALTHY AND DRINK A LOT OF WATER! Healthy foods such as fish are loaded with the strong hair supporters such as Vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids that promote hair growth by keeping your scalp healthy! Other foods such as eggs, sweet potatoes, and avocados are also great for promoting healthy hair growth.

3. Keep your hair moisturized. This is by far the most important tip to growing long, strong, beautiful locks. Because African hair is so curly, oil from your roots takes a much longer time travelling to the ends of your hair. This means you need to spend every time managing the most damaged and dry part of your hair – the ends.

4. Use oil in your hair. Because it does take such a long time for your hairs’ natural oils to travel to the ends of strands, infuse your hair with oils to supplement those your scalp already creates. AVOID petroleum and mineral oils. Try using castor oil (or Jamaican black castor oil). This has been used for hundreds of years to increase the softness of your hair and aid in faster growth. Rub some oil between the palms of your hands, and run them through your hair to incorporate it to as much of your hair as you are able.

5. Steer clear of hair color. The chemicals in hair dye are a major cause of hair damage. Using dyes often can prevent hair growth from damage to the entire strand of hair. If possible, don’t dye your hair at all. If you must, spend at least three months between hair dye sessions.

6. Cover your hair whenever possible. To help your hair soak in the oil and nutrients you have been supplying it with, cover it in a satin or silk scarf or bonnet. Although you can’t do this all the time, wear one during the night to prevent damage from the elements. Use a satin scarf, as this material does not absorb oil like cotton and other synthetic fabrics do.

My name is Imani Nash, I am a Sophomore Criminal Justice Major from New Castle, Delaware. I am a first year HerCampus Writer, and after college I plan on attending Law School to later become a Family Law Attorney.