This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

is most popularly known as the Christian holiday where you’re supposed to give up a worldly desire; something you have that you don’t need. However, I’m going to give you a more specific rundown. Lent is a Christian tradition that is observed in many denominations. It is the hallowed forty-day period of sacrifice leading up to Jesus’ death and Resurrection. During Lent, Catholics and some Protestants prepare for Holy Week by fasting, praying, and reconciling with the Lord. During the 40 days of Lent, Christians remember the time when Jesus went into the desert to fast and pray before beginning his work for God. However, other Christians or participants of lent to give up certain luxuries in order to replicate the sacrifice of Jesus Christ’s journey into the desert for 40 days.

Although most give up eating meat, people also use the holiday to stop doing something they shouldn’t do. This Lent I decided to give up three things; sodas, pride and complaining. Yes, you read that correctly, I gave up complaining and pride with the healthy give up of sodas… Let me explain as to why.

Part One: Pride

I gave up having such high pride, call it a Leo thing for my astrology folks, but I have way too much pride. Pride destroys many things; it keeps you from good experiences, friends, and relationships of any sort. Everyone that’s close to me knows I truly hate apologizing for anything, even when I’m aware that I’m in the wrong. I self-punish by thinking if I acknowledge my wrongness alone that it’s okay because it is also important to own up to your faults and apologize when necessary. Also, holding pride gives you the feeling that you’re “too good” to do something. While that isn’t my case, because I’m not like that personally, I do know many people who believe they’re too good to do something. I know people who belive they’re too good to speak to someone or interact with the world because of their pride… Let’s go ahead and toss all of that in the trash.

Part Two: Complaining 

One thing I’m giving up that took time to adjust to is complaining. I complain quite a lot. You may even read it in some of my articles on here. I complain about most things due to the fact that I’m not used to things not being okay in my little bubble, but the world has nothing to do with my own bubble space. I complain when I get too much homework, yet it’s keeping me smart and not stagnant. I complain when something doesn’t go my way, but sometimes things don’t go the way you want them to because God has something much greater in store. I complain about my life, knowing that someone else endures a life much harder than my own. I complain about not having enough money to go out to a dinner but someone else is on the street begging for food of some sort. So prior to lent beginning on February 14th (it ends March 29th), I sat down and wrote a list of things that needed to be changed within myself for my personal growth, and complaining was a key aspect of myself that I had to let go. 

Part Three: Soda

I know I didn’t write a real reason as to why I gave up soda​. Long story short, soda is terrible for you. Switch to consistently drinking water or tea in place of drinking soda and you will quickly see a difference in energy, skin and many other things. I also realized that some people have common things that comfort them in times of distress. Mine happens to be over eating or indulging in a variety of snacks if I’m sad, angry, bothered or bored. It’s a very unhealthy habit of mine. I might as well have been a spokesperson for the Coca-Cola company the way I was continuously drinking their products.

To close out my article, I am interested in knowing if anyone else has given up anything for lent or plans to give up something next year. Take time to reflect on your heart and wonder what things you can give up that with ultimately better you in the long run. Prayer and reflection are my themes for the year, what are yours? 

Hello, my name is Tayla Minette Camper and I'm writer and membership advisor for HerCampus at CAU. I am currently a senior at the prestigious Clark Atlanta University.