bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Reasons Why Avocados Are The Bomb

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

It’s officially spring now -whether or not Cleveland will admit it- which only means one thing: Avocados are finally back in season! For about the next five months, you can go to most of your favorite food chains and they’ll all have avocado on the menu for all of us avocado lovers. Not only does it add a certain awesome creaminess to everything, but it is also one of the most nutrient dense superfoods out there. It is good for your overall health, and is great for your skin! Here are some reasons everyone should be enjoying the greatest food ever:

1. Avocados provide nearly 20 essential vitamins and minerals, including fiber, potassium, vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, B-Vitamins and Folic-acid.

2. Avocados act as natural nutrient booster by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta carotene.

3. Avocados are high in fiber, which helps slow the rate of digestion of food, and makes you fuller quicker!

4. Avocado oil is high in Vitamin E, polyphenols, and sterolins, all of which help reduce the signs of aging. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant, which fights off free radicals that can cause the damage that leads to aging.

5. Avocado oil has a natural hydrating ability, deeply absorbed by the skin. It has been shown to be a very effective moisturizer and barrier, due to it’s high vitamin, antioxidant, and fatty-acid content.  Its chemical properties allow of a strong ability to retain water, hence it is used as an emollient. Those who suffer from dry skin benefit from lotions and cosmetics containing avocado oil.

6. The Omega-3 Fatty Acids in avocados have been shown to be a highly effective protector from UV solar radiation, decreasing chances for sunburn and skin cancer risk. 

7. They’re the yummiest food of all… DUH.

Senior Nutrition Major at CWRU. On the Varsity Swim and Dive Team, and part of Delta Gamma Fraternity.